You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappearing object nodes when moving guides

Yes I did see that when I first searched but how do I select AD 1.6.5?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Hi jackamus,

Whilst is it your right to purchase another copy of Affinity so you can return to the old behaviour, I would like to discourage you from doing so. As time goes on, additional 'visual clutter' will likely be removed from the app as this is what is often requested of us. We cannot keep adding UI elements to switch things back on as this will be adding more clutter to the UI. You will also be left far behind from any bug fixes and improvements.

Also, if you continue to use an older version of the app, you may be very limited to any future technical support as we will only support the current versions of the app.

This current behaviour will not be changing as it was an intentional change so there is no need to disturb Ben from valuable programming time by continuing this discussion.

@Chris B your argumentation had some valid points until ...

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

so there is no need to disturb Ben from valuable programming time by continuing this discussion.

Was there a constant private messaging between Ben and jackamus or is Ben only monitoring this discussion that he could feel disturbed? If Serif feels disturbed by the wishes, requests, bug reports etc, then we should refrain from posting here or you should close the forums and move over to a paid support model. Just my 2ct.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 9/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, Ben said:

Because you were never snapping to these things.  The thing you were actually snapping to was/is obstructed by the selection box handles.

Before spending £48 for a license to use an older version of AD because it more user friendly than 1.7.2 I will make one last plea to get the issue fixed and  re-instated on AD 1.7.2.

It is too complicated to provide a file for you to check so I'll explain it in words.

I have an engineering drawing that has a great number of objects, mainly rectangles and circles, in close proximity to each other and not all aligned with guides and snapped positions. What happens in AD 1.7.2 is that when I move a guide to coincide with w a bounding box control handle (stuff), because that is exactly where I want it, the stuff disappears and I have to guess where to move the guide. It may indeed appear to snap to the correct position I want but I will not know for sure until the stuff appears again. This is where I could find that the guide hasn't snapped to where I wanted it but snapped to some other position in a another part of the drawing. That's where I either turn off snapping or zoom in to move it manually. I never ever had this trouble with AD 1.6.5

Do you fully  understand what it is I'm trying to describe?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

There is another thing! Is there a way to select a line with the Move tool when it is sitting exactly on a guide? I currently do this by making a copy, then using the cursor keys to move it just enough to select it and move it to its new position. I could have moved the guide out of the way in order to select the line but I may not want to move the guide for all sorts of reasons.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

[disturbance]Just click the line although the cursor looks like as you want to move the guide (and release the mouse button). The line gets selected and now use the move tool by clicking and dragging the line to the destination you want.[/disturbance]

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

@Chris B your argumentation had some valid points until ...

Was there a constant private messaging between Ben and jackamus or is Ben only monitoring this discussion that he could feel disturbed? If Serif feels disturbed by the wishes, requests, bug reports etc, then we should refrain from posting here or you should close the forums and move over to a paid support model. Just my 2ct.

This very quickly escalated from being a general bug report to a discussion where Ben repeated himself numerous times stating that the app is now working as intended.

Nobody should feel discouraged from posting any bug reports, suggestions or feedback but I was merely stating that Ben had made his mind up and expressed this on a number of occasions and continuing this discussion would have little to no effect on the decision that has been made.

I understand what you were aiming to, but the choice of word(s) was unlucky. Best case to post a final statement like After a final internal discussion we are not going to change this behaviour and lock the thread. 

------

26 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hi jackamus,

As time goes on, additional 'visual clutter' will likely be removed from the app as this is what is often requested of us.

I do realize the minefield I could be letting myself into by returning to an older more user friendly version. But I got on well with it and was happy to accept useful ADDED features as they arrived but not REMOVING features especially if no body has complained about them. If in the future I do not get important technical support I'll either lump it or go elsewhere!

Who decides what constitutes visual clutter? I asked this question earlier but got no answer! Again I ask it. Did you get a flurry of complaints from the previous versions and had to do something about it in AD 1.7.2?

This is so typical of software developers, especially Mac and Windows operating systems! What they may ADD is one thing but what they REMOVE is usually a disaster. To us humble users there the saying , "If its not broken then don't fix it" but this is obviously too difficult for them to grasp.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

11 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

[disturbance]Just click the line although the cursor looks like as you want to move the guide (and release the mouse button). The line gets selected and now use the move tool by clicking and dragging the line to the destination you want.[/disturbance]

Well I never! Thanks.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I understand what you were aiming to, but the choice of word(s) was unlucky. Best case to post a final statement like After a final internal discussion we are not going to change this behaviour and lock the thread. 

The only problem with locking the thread is that the question I have asked twice (why was it changed, were there a surfeit of user complaints?) has not been answered.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

After a final internal discussion we are not going to change this behaviour and lock the thread. 

Noted.

4 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Did you get a flurry of complaints from the previous versions and had to do something about it in AD 1.7.2?

Just now, jackamus said:

The only problem with locking the thread is that the question I have asked twice (why was it changed, were there a surfeit of user complaints?) has not been answered.

We get feedback all the time from design houses, architect firms, social media etc. (not just from the forum) and one thing that gets asked of us is to reduce visual clutter and to keep a clean UI.

I have made the decision to lock this thread as there is very little point continuing this discussion.

jackamus, I respect your passion and feedback and it is quite clear you care. Please do not be discouraged from contributing in the future.

Joachim_L, thank you for guiding me to revisit what I said so that in future I will be wiser with my choice of wording.