You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very sluggish performance with line drawings PDF imported from CAD

SKT7

I am facing very slow performance when I open line drawings in PDF format exported from CAD Software.
Every operation (such as drag-select, deselect, group, ungroup, move, copy, paste etc) freezes the system for short or sometimes 5-15 sec or more!
Initially, I was thinking it could be because the drawings are complex and have too many curves - but then I noticed that it's happening even for simple drawings as well. 

It works fine when very complex graphics developed naively in AD though. 

Has anyone else noticed such an issue?

I have attached an example file with I am facing such slowdown issue.

I am running Designer 1.7.2.471 on Windows 10, 64bit, Intel i7 6700, 16GB ram, NVIDA 6GB GTX 970M Graphics.

line drawing slow performance_product.afdesign

Thanks for the reply.
How much ram is recommenced for such a simple file. 
Also, if I create much more complex file in AD itself, it does not give slowdown issue - it seems to happen when it's imported from CAD - what's the reason for that?

• Staff

Hi saikat,

Thanks for the file - I'm going to look into this... Designer didn't perform this badly a while ago with files like this, so it can definitely be resolved... Leave it with me :)

Hopefully you can see from the rendering performance that we have no fundamental issues with there being this many objects in the document, but it appears that something in our command architecture is now incurring an overhead, which with larger selections is becoming noticeable. I feel sure we can make this go away...

Matt

Turn off snapping - you should see an improvement

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
1 hour ago, MattP said:

but it appears that something in our command architecture is now incurring an overhead, which with larger selections is becoming noticeable. I feel sure we can make this go away...

I guess that would explain why the performance is significantly better when you group all the major areas together!

line drawing slow performance_product_grouped.afdesign

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Hi saikat,

Thanks for the file - I'm going to look into this... Designer didn't perform this badly a while ago with files like this, so it can definitely be resolved... Leave it with me :)

Hopefully you can see from the rendering performance that we have no fundamental issues with there being this many objects in the document, but it appears that something in our command architecture is now incurring an overhead, which with larger selections is becoming noticeable. I feel sure we can make this go away...

Matt

Really appreciate your reply. Good to know that the issue is real!!
Also, as you said, I did not notice such slowdown issue before the last major update (that came with Publisher launch) if I remember correctly.

I need to use a lot of CAD generated line drawings like this ... so, such slowdown is making it almost unusable (especially with other files which are much more complex than the attached one). Resolving this issue would be extremely helpful to me.

@Dazmondo77 yes turning off snapping does seem to help to an extent. 

I'm experiencing the same issue with architectural drawings imported from a PDF. I'm not sure which application they originate from, but I could figure this out if it matters.

Anyway, I was writing this off as due to the complexity of the files, but, after seeing this thread, I'm again hopeful that something fundamental is off that could lead to big improvements when fixed.

Let me know if providing a file experiencing this issue would help!

• 2 weeks later...

@MattP 

On 9/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, MattP said:

Hi saikat,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Iis there any update on this performance issue? Is it going to be addressed in the upcoming beta/release? 

• Staff

Hi saikat,

There have been a number of fixes already made for version 1.8 that should address the bulk of this, hopefully we can improve things much further in the future too... We are about to release a 1.7.3 version which is mainly compatibility fixes, but we plan to make 1.8 beta available in the not-too-distant future :)

Many thanks,

Matt

• 4 months later...