You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparent Text in SVG Files Doesn't Work

I have several svg images created in Inkscape with text of varying semi-transparency that I imported into Affinity Publisher, and then realized at the last moment that none of the transparency shows up in Publisher. They are all 100% opaque. Which creates a huge headache for me. 

Semi-transparent graphics/shapes work fine. It's only the font/texts that doesn't become semi-transparent. 

In the screenshot below the bottom "testing" words are semi-transparent—at least in the original file they are. But here they are opaque, while the semi-transparency on the circle shapes below them works just fine. 

I tried converting the text to "object to path", then re-saved the file, and that made so that the text then became transparent.

This doesn't make any sense to me. 

transparency text svg affinity publisher.jpg

• Staff

Hi eclecticthis,

When reporting issues like this PLEASE try to attach the source files you are showing or referring to, without these we can't fully investigate issues properly.

Looking at Lagarto's SVGs I can see that it is the 'opacity' attribute on text that is being ignored, instead we specifically look for 'fill-opacity'. This maybe something to do with the way we're mapping the 'opacity' attribute to a Layer's opacity, and the 'fill-opacity' attribute to the fill colour's opacity.

I will get this passed on to development to investigate. However if you could attach your SVG shown in the first post that will help us verify if that is the case, or there is another scenario we're missing.

Thanks.

• Staff
6 hours ago, eclecticthis said:

Okay. I didn't know to do that. 

This file isn't exactly the same anymore as shown in the screenshot above, because I messed around with it some more after I had posted, but it's mostly the same. 

testing.svg

Thanks

Thanks for that - I can confirm it does look like those characters are using opacity on that text span, so it is the same issue. I've passed your file on to development.