You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.2.1.26294 RC2)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: https://s3.amazonaws...stomer Beta.dmg

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

This beta is another small update to the previous one as our public-facing efforts are currently concentrated on the impending release of Affinity Photo and making sure that Affinity Designer works alongside it smoothly.

Improvements, Features, Fixes

- Further printing improvements.

- New branding (icons, splash screen, etc.)

- Final help.

- Final documentation.

- Final localisations.

- PDF import improvements.

- SVG import improvements.

- Another attempt to fix colour picker.

- Numerous stability improvements.

I'm still worried by the pdf export status of the current beta if this is what will replace the sharp version.

I have a regular page-sized illustration in pdf from my agency that's generated from InDesign/Illustrator that is 1.3 MB. It imports nicely into ADesigner (582 KB).

When Exported to pdf from the ADesigner 1.2.1 the file is 1.9 MB, which is fair in size, but the output quality is rather poor (lots of rasterisation).

When Exported from ADesignerBeta RC 2, the quality is only marginally better, but the file size is now 224 MB! Without mentioning that it took like several minutes to export. Acrobat would also complain that something is wrong with that file. It's been that way for a few betas.

Even though none of the outputs are optimal, having them both available gives some options (like now), while only having the last one available after next update would only be for the worse.

Oh man, I hate to hear that this is the final on Help.  Since Photo help wraps as it should on my machine, I was hoping that eventually Designer Help would too.  Designer Help will not wrap like it should and trying to use it is a matter of dragging the window to fill the whole screen and still having to scroll right to read all of some lines.

• Staff

I'm still worried by the pdf export status of the current beta if this is what will replace the sharp version.

I have a regular page-sized illustration in pdf from my agency that's generated from InDesign/Illustrator that is 1.3 MB. It imports nicely into ADesigner (582 KB).

When Exported to pdf from the ADesigner 1.2.1 the file is 1.9 MB, which is fair in size, but the output quality is rather poor (lots of rasterisation).

When Exported from ADesignerBeta RC 2, the quality is only marginally better, but the file size is now 224 MB! Without mentioning that it took like several minutes to export. Acrobat would also complain that something is wrong with that file. It's been that way for a few betas.

Even though none of the outputs are optimal, having them both available gives some options (like now), while only having the last one available after next update would only be for the worse.

Can you send us the afdesign file so we can have a look please.  if the file is too big then a dropbox link to support@seriflabs.com would be great.

Can you send us the afdesign file so we can have a look please.  if the file is too big then a dropbox link to support@seriflabs.com would be great.

Hi Tony, I just sent a DropBox link with the files to the support email.

• Staff

Hi vonBusing :)

Thanks for those files - very interesting to see! I definitely agree we could and should be doing better with the PDF export of that document - but the reason it has increased dramatically in size from the output of the App Store 1.2.1 version is simply that the PDF created by the 1.2.1 version for this document was just one large image! The output created from the current version is separate items, rasterised where necessary, so it ends up inflating the file size as a result. We're in the middle of completely replacing the PDF export of the application to use our own exporter (rather than making use of Apple's built-in PDF support) so we will have much greater control of our export soon - so I would hope to see this file improve dramatically in the future :)

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi MatP,

Thanks for the response. It sounds good for the future that you might be able to do more sophisticated stuff than the Apple's built-in. 

Regarding the actual file: there are some repeated groups that contains quite a few elements with elliptical gradients that may be the culprit in the heavy rasterization process. I figured out that all but one of these gradients in each group could be replaced with radial gradients with highly similar visual effect but that would properly export as vectors in pdf. Maybe updating all groups accordingly would take the exported file down to manageable size. I will try that.

Best,

/Miro

• Staff

Hmm...I'm only using beta because app store is also buggy but this release won't even let me save...

Can you save in the pictures folder? or the documents folder? You can try repairing your permissions, or try giving your user account permission to the app.

See this post: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4357-exporting-image-or-saving-as-in-dropbox-folder-not-working/?p=40318

Happy to read that you're working at your own PDF exporter rather than using Apples. Apple is doing fine and it will be usefull for most of the users, but I think going professionell you simply need more controll over the options. Happy to see that soon :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

Just a quick FYI for the dev, I think I've mentioned tis before but must've slipped through: while in the Export... window (but before hitting the Export button which takes you to the Save As… window) Affinity Designer accepts the app's general keyboard equivalents, so you can pull up another Save… window before finishing up in the the Export… window , or apply commands to the artwork while in the Save… window. I imagine this is a bug as no other Mac OS app I've ever used allows such behavior. Of course the default Mac OS X navigation keyboard equivalents for the Open/Save windows should still be operational, like Cmd + D to navigate to the Desktop, Cmd + A to navigate to Applications folder, Cmd + Shift C to navigate to Computer...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Can you save in the pictures folder? or the documents folder? You can try repairing your permissions, or try giving your user account permission to the app.

See this post: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4357-exporting-image-or-saving-as-in-dropbox-folder-not-working/?p=40318

Tried all sorts of things but none helped so had to quit and loose all my edits - (they were slices so didn't win anything by exporting which worked).

It works after reopening the program. Please focus on stability and less on features.

• Staff

Tried all sorts of things but none helped so had to quit and loose all my edits - (they were slices so didn't win anything by exporting which worked).

It works after reopening the program. Please focus on stability and less on features.

Try the latest RC3 beta that we released today. We've added some fixes to saving that might help.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.