You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lagging, crashing, freezing!

Hi,

I have an iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen, always kept up to date with latest release. It’s not on the current beta for the ipad iOS. Affinity photo is always kept up to date.  I’ve been with affinity photo for over two years and this was the first experience of photo editing for me. I’ve mostly enjoyed the journey. I do property photography, take raw 14 bit photos with my Nikon Z6 and then blend from 2 to 8 ish photos, ambient to flash etc. I’m not an adobe troll I’m a loyal AP customer, but I’m seriously at the end of my tether. It’s constantly lagging, freezing and crashing far too frequently. This began with the 1.7 update and the latest update didn’t correct it, in fact I’d say it made it worse. This is my only form of hardware as I don’t have desktop or laptop to fall back on. So the additional time it’s taking to do my work is beyond a joke and to be honest very stressful as I have customers wanting their photos and a wife complaining I’m always editing. Has nothing been found that may be causing this issue as I’m aware others have reported this from back in June? If it’s not resolved soon affinity photo on iPad is effectively unusable for me and no doubt many others. 

Some details would help. What do you mean by ‘lagging’? What are you doing when it lags?

What are you doing when it crashes?

What are you doing when it freezes? Are you sure it is frozen and not just doing some heavy-duty processing?

I just successfully did a 49 image panorama on my 12.9 2nd gen. It took over 30 minutes to do the final render, but it worked. Would you consider that ‘lagging’?

Hi EdM, thanks for the response, but it’s not really helpful. If you read my initial post you’ll realise that everything worked well prior to the last update. Since the 1.7 update things have changed and I’m not the only genuine, regular user of AP to raise these problems. The lagging, where everything slows to a fragmented pace, the freezing happens to a greater or lesser degree with every file, dependant on how many stacked photos I’m using. The crashing happens for various reasons, I’ll be working on something and then it freezes, then after varying periods it crashes and the app closes. These were rare occurrences before the 1.7 update. 

I’ve raised this here, like any other issue I’ve had, to hopefully get a solution or get the developers to correct it. I am a loyal AP user, not someone who’s trying to discredit it. I’m raising it so that I can continue to use it as my main source of editing software. 

I’ve attached a screen recording to give an example of the issues. It’s not a complete start to finish process, nor does it show a crash, but it shows what’s happening. 

• Staff

Hi Chesney8315,

I wouldn't normally recommend using raw files to stack as you'd normally want preprocessed TIFFs or JPEGs. I think this is having a knock-on performance effect. Are you 100% certain you were stacking raw images in 1.6 and not JPEGs?

Hi Chris, 

I raised an issue previously about placing raw photos on top of created stacks (it’s still in my profile). That was reported back in late June.  I basically stacked two to five raw photos, flash,  ambient etc. Then added further raw photos on top for masking etc. That worked for some time, but then the issue started so to get round that I started stacking every photo I’d need. So sometimes 8 ish raw photos would be in a stack. On reflection that must have been no earlier than early June. 

So there were still a fair few photos that were stacked prior to this and that didn’t cause me such an issue. However, even though I’ve been editing for over two years I’ve still loads to learn. So if you wouldn’t normally recommend stacking that many raw photos how do I deal with this? I use raw so I can recover highlight/shadows when I push to the limit, which is quite often to get the range for property photos. Bear in mind I only have an iPad Pro?!!

thanks

• Staff

I've just done the same process with 8 raw images and it only took about 1m 30s as opposed to your 2m 15s (I think it was) so not a huge difference but I was able to somewhat reproduce what you are seeing. It seems to happen when I zoom in/out and then immediately change brush size. The brush cursor gets stuck when the size changes for a few seconds. That can then lead to a delay in input when I attempt to paint.

I'm going to set an iPad up on 1.6 and see if I can repo this. If it's a regression it needs to be logged as a bug. Otherwise, it might need to go in as an improvement fix because the performance is a bit iffy for me but quite drastic for yourself. 

• Staff

Right, I've just done the exact same stack on 1.6 and it took 3m 47s to complete the stack and immediately I noticed the performance was actually worse. Adjusting the brush size froze for longer than on the 1.7 iPad and it happened more often.

I must admit that the 1.6 iPad is a slightly older Pro version than the newer Pro I was using with 1.7 so I think there wouldn't be much in it if they were the same.

Due to the constant freezing when adjusting the brush size and zooming in/out etc. I believe it warrants some improvement so I will log this with the developers.