You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Testing Affinity magic

JLARM

I am a complete newbie to Affinity and this is my first attempt at a project.

I am attempting to copy a pattern used by an artist on the Web who is involved heavily with Sacred Geometry.   If you are interested you can Google Charles Gilchrist or Sacred Geometry.

The pattern was used as the base for one of his Mandala paintings.  The pattern called Natures First Pattern is basically circles arranged to form a repeating pattern.

This is the result of my first attempts with Affinity and vectors in general.  Of course, I had to pick an easy one ! 

I am convinced that Affinity Designer is made with secret magic potions and mysterious spells.  All of this pattern is split into individual pieces and the file is still very small and extremely responsive on the screen.   If I were to export this file to PSD it would generate a 13 Meg file !  The document size is 24 x 24 inches at 300 DPI for printing.

I will post an update when it is colored.  Should take me about 23 years !

post-12436-0-46430200-1435335826_thumb.jpg

Welcome and have fun with creating Mandalas. look forward to seeing your color version.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

There are some people here, who would spend their hours colouring this in, with their kids.

Now that colouring-in-books for adults are hitting the shelves. I think know that you are onto something here. Print it out and see how parents and kids react. This could be the start of something really special.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Gregg:   Thanks for the welcome.  I am looking foward to getting some color into it.

Peter:  Thanks for the idea.  I may try getting a few printed for test purposes.  I need to do a little work on this now because these old eyes did not get the lines quite lined up correctly.

I am going through making sure the lines meet properly. With the number of circles in this it may be a little while.

Peter, you are so right !   I have almost finished the linework for a slightly simpler version of the original file to use for my first mandala and I completly lost yesterday.  I have no idea where it went !

I don't know what will happen when I actually get to coloring it.  Hopefully something to show soon. :huh:

:blink: It went thattaway :wacko:

Look forward to seeing it.

Just as a side note I used know a guy from college in 1996, who would draw on A3/2 paper. These pictures were more like technical drawings, of what looked like brick walls. Think Minecraft, think Micro Lego, (Think about bed! That's what he forgot to do).

The dimensions of each 'brick' would be the size of a grain of rice. Each brick was coloured-in with a different colour. All this was done on cartridge paper and 1mm tipped pens. Probably, Rotring or one of the other German pen brands.

From what I saw it was amazing, only 1% was coloured-in. I never did get to see the finished article though :(. Shame. However, he did tell me that he started to lose hours, then days just laying the black lines. He would have loved AD...

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Ok, for anyone who happens to be following this journey, here is the completed line work for the partial version of the original file which I will use for my first mandala.

I went to extra effort to make sure all lines are correctly joining.  There are 137 circles in the image which were arranged to get the pattern.

I am currently taking Robbie McBride's excellent beginners course over over on Udemy.   Trying to pick up some hints because I am now going to have to "objectify" each of the spaces in this image so that I can color them and keep them in vector.  This is going to be interesting.  :wacko:   Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

post-12436-0-08311500-1435696692_thumb.jpg