You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad colour calibration

Can anyone give me a steer on how to achieve good colour accuracy on iPad. I know many of us here will have a profiling device for laptops and desktops but I don’t know how to build that sort of colour consistency into an iPad workflow. I’ve read that iPad screens are calibrated quite well out of the factory but, there is a big difference between my iPad and laptop. 

• Staff

Hi Jason Holt :)

I'm not well versed in calibrating iPads through iOS, however if you have a specific colour profile that you use on your desktop you can import this into Affinity iPad apps through Preferences>Colour, allowing you to visualise your artwork similarly on the desktop or iPad!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan. I’ve checked out your suggestion and it’s not really what I was getting at.

on a desktop for example using an Xrite device, a series of known colours are presented on screen and measured with a hardware device. Once the difference between what is known and what is displayed can be calculated, a profile for that screen can be applied. I’m sure you know what I mean.

i don’t know of a way to do that on iPad to ensure colour consistency across my devices .

can you help?

Xrite have an app called ColorTRUE but the profiles are not applied system wide - only in their app.

i believe there is an SDK but it doesn’t seem like many, if any, app developers have picked it up and baked it in yet.

Do you know of any? Obviously AP on iPad is my preference!!!

Fingers crossed.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that Jason, I've been looking into this here and the following is taken from ColorTRUE's app description -

Unlike your laptop or desktop operating system, iOS mobile apps do not have system wide color management capabilities. Therefore, each app must apply color profiles individually. 

I downloaded and ran the colour calibration tool using a ColorMunki Display, after calibration the app created an ICC profile and uploaded it to the cloud - however it does not give you direct access to download this file, instead it relies on SDK implementation in specific apps, as you have mentioned.

I'll log this as an improvement request with our developers, to see if this is something we can implement in a future update.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of another way to calibrate your iPad screen, my sincerest apologies!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 9 months later...

Hi @Dan C, I'm currently looking to set up my photographic workflow on my iPad using Affinity Photo and was researching how I could color calibrate my iPad display. Is this functionality discussed in this thread implemented currently and if not, is it currently being planned for implementation?

Thanks in advance!

Travis

Short version: No way ...

To get the most stable results (not calibrated ...) make sure to switch off iOS features like True Tone and Night Shift. One will adapt to environmental lighting, the other will reduce the blue light frequencies during the night.

These two functions will change your color settings more than any calibration would probably do.

• Staff

Hi travisrogers,

9 hours ago, travisrogers said:

Is this functionality discussed in this thread implemented currently and if not, is it currently being planned for implementation?

Currently this has yet to be implemented into the Affinity suite - from what I'm aware of our developers are currently working to implement X-rite and other colour calibration tool support into the desktop apps, and I don't see why this wouldn't follow on the iPad version in due time.

I hope this clears things up :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We've used X-Rite's ColorTRUE for the last 6+ years. It worked great at profiling the iPad's screen and storing that profile up in the cloud.

We licensed and implemented X-Rite's ColorTRUE SDK into our app and have used it very successfully to provide color-accurate proofs to many of our clients. It worked great ... up until recently.

Without previous notice, X-Rite decided to remove the ColorTRUE app from the App Store, preventing new devices from being profiled. Then, just a couple weeks ago, they threw the final blow by killing the cloud server that responded to API calls from their SDK to get and validate the cloud-stored profile.

For the past month or so I've been trying to get X-Rite to provide some sort of path forward, but they refuse to entertain any suggestions. They're not interested in even providing a timeframe that would allow us to find an alternative. They just unilaterally ended the license agreement we had with them and completely killed ColorTRUE. Very very disappointing to see from a global company. 

Perhaps Affinity can setup and license something like this. We would gladly collaborate with them on an implementation that can help the community. We just need to find an alternative soon.