You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export Quality Issues (when printing)

gEP1000

Hey,

first of all thanks for this very nice software.

We discovered an issue with the pdf export quality (latest and latest beta macOS Version of Publisher, macOS Version 10.14.6).

Workflow of what we do

1   Create a pdf with the macOS printing dialog from an Excel file.

2   Link the pdf-from-excel file into a new Publisher document. The numbers of the Excel file are still numbers and not pictures.

3   Add a text field with some text to the Publisher document.

4   Export to pdf from Publisher with e.g. compatibility pdf 1.7 profile.

5   Print the document on a Canon laser printer.

Result

Blurry and bad quality of the text on the print for the numbers on the linked pdf-excel-file and for the text inserted in Publisher itself. The quality of the PDF on the screen in Acrobat or Preview looks, but the printing quality varies a lot. We tried all compatibility pdf profiles with the same result. Only the PDF/X-3 profile results in a better printing quality. 

Workaround

If we create the pdf from Publisher by using the macOS printing dialog we get a very big file. Using ghostscript on the command line with either default /ebook or /printer options shrinks down the filesize and the printing quality is just fine.

Conclusion

I assume there is something wrong within the pdf export options/workflow in the background in Publisher.

It would be nice to see this fixed in the next version.

Thanks a lot.

I tried this also with the latest beta and the result is still the same.

The printed-out result of the PDF-1.7-exported PDF is of course not totally blurry. But when I compare it directly to a printed-out PDF using the „Workaround“ (see below) or printing directly from Affinity Publisher, obviously the PDF-1.7-exported PDF is more blurry and does not fulfil the quality standard for printing out for our customers.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: printing directly from Affinity Publisher or using the „Workaround“ described below, from the same printer and from the same Mac results in perfect quality. We also tried it from different Macs.

Workaround

If we create the pdf from Publisher by using the macOS printing dialog we get a very big file. Using ghostscript on the command line with either default /ebook or /printer options shrinks down the filesize and the printing quality is just fine.

• Staff

I still don't see any difference. Can you please attach a scan of the printed file? If the PDF looks fine in on-screen and in both Acrobat and Preview, it's most likely an error caused by something else. Once we export to PDF, our job is "done". We cannot change a PDF once it's written

If I do the following:

1. Create the pdf from Publisher by using the macOS printing dialog (we get a very big file > Using ghostscript on the command line with either default /ebook or /printer options shrinks down the filesize), then print it out

Result: the printing quality is good as expected.

2. Print it out directly from Affinity Publisher

Result: the printing quality is good as expected.

3. Export a PDF with compatibility: PDFX3, then print it out

Result: the printing quality is a little worse, but still ok.

4. Export a PDF with e.g. compatibility: PDF1.7(Acrobat)

Result: Blurry text and numbers, does not fulfill quality standards and can not be handed out to our customers.

So something with the PDF1.7 (Acrobat) is wrong. On-screen it looks fine, but the printed-out version is not, especially when comparing it to 1., 2. or 3.

The printer, the printer driver, the network and the printing workflow are working correctly. This is tested by trying option 1 or 2 and nothing is changed when replicating the issue.

I just uploaded the scan of the printed-out PDF1.7(acrobat)-version (option 4, "20190920110323_PDF17.pdf") to the writable dropbox Link you sent me so you can have a look at it.

Thank you for your help!

• Staff

In this case, I suggest you contact Adobe. Once we export the pdf, the pdf viewer(Acrobat in your case) will handle the printing/preview/etc, and not us.

I tried several printers in the office with that PDF and they all look nice and sharp, just like on the screen, using Acrobat. 

Thank you a lot! Your last message helped us, because until now we always printed with the "preview" from Mac OS 10.14.6.

When using Acrobat, the printed-out quality is good as expected!

Thank you for your fast replies and the time and effort you spent on helping us. 

We are really pleased with the customer support and the Affinity Publisher itself.

Thank you.