You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Soft hyphen behaves like No Break?

I would not call it a bug and I guess there is a setting I forgot. Sometimes adding a soft hyphen makes an already autmatically hyphenated word act like I defined a No Break for this word. In the attached image (lower image) I would like to add a soft hyphen inside the word Luftschlitze right after the t (I know that this word would never be hyphenated there, just for giving an example).

After adding the soft hyphen the complete word Luftschlitze moves to the next line as if there was never an automatic hyphenation after Luft. Is there something I can do to prevent this? I use the Hyphenation defaults in the panel, the Language is set to German and Luftschlitze is part of the dictionary.

softhyphen-after.jpg

softhyphen-before.jpg

Edited by Joachim_L
Oh my God, it is full of typos.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi thomaso, thx for your reply, but your hyphenation settings are identical to mine. Attached a file, where you can try it yourself. Font is Milo OT.

softhyphen.afpub

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

If you use soft hyphenation you'll need to specify all the hyphenation points you want to use, as you've indicated that you're taking over the hyphenation. From the Hyphenation help topic :

Auto-hyphenation has no effect on words that contain a soft hyphen. You can put a soft hyphen at the beginning of a word to prevent it being hyphenated altogether.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Joachim, (I don't have your Milo font but I think hyphenation is not font related anyway)

You don't need a manual or softhyphen here. The standard dictionary obviously knows them both in Luft-schlit-ze and also uses them if there is enough space. When I simply add characters to your frame I see it break at -ze, possibly there is just slightly too little space in a situation where it does not break at -ze.

2085633051_hyphenluftschlit-ze2.jpg.8e703ec9cc1928bd21dc1ff7c7077854.jpg

704726695_hyphenluftschlit-ze3.jpg.916df7b5adeb2bd612c8fd38463b4c3e.jpg

Also I guess your additional horizontal spacing ("Tracking") does influence the hyphenation because of influencing the space of the space character, too:

571936412_hyphenluftschlit-ze4tracking.jpg.350eab7647a6bc0a0a8dc5154b939a06.jpg

p.s.: man könnte hier auch "schlechtes Augenmaß" vermuten – ein Schelm, wer Böses (bug) dabei denkt ... ;)

softhyphen-after.jpg.e90252f9ab0f87a2d61655034ec32d87.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1