You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lens correction stopped working with Affinity 1.7.2 update

I recently updated Affinity photo to version 1.7.2.  After updating, the lens correction for my Olympus 8mm f/1.8 fisheye does not appear to be doing anything.  Prior to updating, the automatic lens correction would straighten out the distortion from the fisheye lens, and the image in the develop persona appeared quite different depending on whether the automatic lens correction was enabled or not.  Now, the image appears almost unchanged, whether the automatic lens correction is enabled or disabled.  Affinity correctly identifies the lens, but it seems like the information on how to remove the distortion has been lost from the lens profile. 

I have tried changing the setting in the Develop Assistant from "Apply Lens Correction" to "Take no action".  After that I've tried checking the box under Lens Correction, and it changes the image almost imperceptibly.  Previously, it was a quite noticeable change when I did this.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what should be done to fix it?  Or, alternatively, what am I doing wrong?  Thanks!

• Staff

Hi Jonathan Botkin,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, I'm going to need a copy of your RAW files to test this here, could you please upload 1-2 RAW files to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/19l7bKU6usElWZUXLjWH

Can you also please confirm for me, are you using Windows or Mac please?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for your files, I've tested this in multiple versions and it appears as though this change was made when we updated from version 1.6 to version 1.7. 

This change however was intentional, as the 1.6 behaviour wasn't technically correct - as the image has been taken with a Fisheye lens, it's expected to have the 'Fisheye' effect on your RAW file.

You can manually change your Lens distortion whilst developing your RAWs if you wish to remove this, but in terms of 'automatic' lens correction, the current model that is applied is the correct one.

It's been discussed previously to add the option in to use the legacy profile, for cases such as yourself that don't require the Fisheye effect on these images - I'll bump this log with our developers now.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Dan,

Thanks for investigating this. It does make sense that the image from a fisheye lens would have that look. I enjoyed the ability to use the automatic correction sometimes and disable it sometimes. If there was a way to make the legacy profile available, I would use it! The manual sliders for lens correction will get some of the way toward the effect of that profile, but they don't quite straighten the lines or the way that profile did. 

Thanks,

Jonathan

Ooh boy, coincidence... I was surprised my fisheye-pics where corrected automatically and enjoyed this feature for shooting in small rooms without having the fishy eye effect. Did that update and it did not work no more. Finally found the answer here though... Is there a way to get this feature back in? It was awesome!!

• Staff

Hi Sempervivum, sonarsound,
Sorry, my bad. With the current (updated) profile in the latest Affinity Photo version the fish eye effect isn't fixed/neutralised anymore as it's considered a property of the lens as Dan explained above. We understand some users appreciated the old correction/profile - Dan already passed that feedback to the dev team - so it's now up to them to decide how to proceed/if possible to provide an option to pick the old profile again. I've bumped the report to bring this up to devs attention again. Thanks for your feedback.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/20/2021 at 6:13 AM, Sempervivum said:

Some days ago I upgraded to version 1.10. Unfortunately defishing still doesn't work. Very unsatisfying!

Bear in mind that Photo applies the lensfun data which for the Olympus 8mm is

<model>Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye Pro</model>
<calibration>
<distortion model="poly3" focal="8" k1="-0.00531"/>
<tca model="poly3" focal="8" br="-0.0000479" vr="1.0005124" bb="0.0000296" vb="1.0000150"/>
</calibration>

Defishing is a different issue where the lens projection is remapped to say Equirectangular, I don't know of any defishing data on lensfun

Lightroom and darktable can do it, personally I use Hugin. I am currently playing with the Hugin distortion parameters using the ptlens model to see if this can be included in an xml for use in Photo but so far the results are not encouraging. Still, Hugin does the job

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10