You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing a Group in Affinity Designer

I have a group that forms a logo -- it has some text layers, a circle, some masks and some other shapes. When I try to resize it, things do not scale properly -- the text box resizes without changing the font size, lines maintain their stroke width rather than adjusting proportionately, etc. (E.g. very different behavior than what I'm accustomed to in Adobe Illustrator.) 

I've tried expanding strokes and merging objects together, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. How can I lock all of the items proportions so that when I resize, everything scales together? I can do it if I export to SVG and then scale it, but it seems like I should be able to do it without exporting first.

Thanks!

Tim

• Staff

Hi Timothy Butler,

Welcome to the forums :)

There are a few settings that need to be set in order for you to scale a group proportionately, and these differ depending on the type of object in your document.

Could you please upload a copy of your .afdesign file here so I can provide examples using your file? If you don't wish for the file to be public you can upload it to the following link -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/UH67ExIngIKcxGMuqBx8

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for your file :) 

There are a few things here to note, firstly as I don't have the font used in your design the text will look a little 'off' in my screenshots, but of course this won't be the case for you!

1. Any vector object with a Stroke applied needs to have Scale with Object selected in the Stroke Studio, this ensures the Stroke resizes as you change the designs physical size, for example -
    image.png

2. The 'Green hills' have had the corner tool applied to them, meaning if you want to resize the objects you need to 'Bake Corners' first - this ensures the corners scale correctly when adjusting the logos size, this option can be found on the context toolbar with the Corner tool selected, for example -
    e711369685e6f096eec3ad31c6a77de7.gif

3. As your design contains Artistic text, there are 2 different drag handles you can use when changing the groups size, one of which will leave the text at the same size regardless of how large or small you make the group, the other will automatically adjust the size of your text to match the group size - this is the handle to the bottom right of the groups bounding box, for example -
    647a6b0880b766554c2df0023823455c.gif
    image.png

I've attached a copy of your file with these changes applied, I hope this helps! :D
Little Hills Church Logo 1.1c_Fixed.afdesign

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

11 minutes ago, Dan C said:

As your design contains Artistic text, there are 2 different drag handles

*Frame text

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)