You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

bug? - Picture frame (ghost) deleted from master page but still there?

Hi, a long process led me to this bug(?). 

1. Master A - create a bunch of picture frames for reference 

2. on a Page that has Master A as master - "Place image" and it snaps into the picture frame. (Nothing wrong here, it is supposed to do that) 
3. Ok I see! I was wrong to use a picture frame as reference (use guidelines instead) So I do what every normal person does, I go to the Master A page. and... 
4. DELETE the picture frame on Master A. And drag guides instead. 

5. I go back to the page in the document and here is where the bug appears. The picture frame (created when I placed the image in the "master A picture frame") is still there BUT there is no way to delete it. And it´s gone from Master A (see step 4) - so I cant delete it there either. 

6. I can delete the content (image) from the picture frame on the page, but i cant delete the picture frame - it doesent exist. 

5. Hence. I´ve created a "picture frame ghost" 

I TRIED THIS SOLUTION, BUT IT DIDNT WORK: 

6. Deleted the master page A and made a new one. 

7. Applied the NEW master page to the page I was working on. 

8. Placed a new image, and the "picture frame ghost" was still there. 

I HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH FOR MY 12 spread 24 page document. 

Have any other had this problem? 

The moment you place an image in the Picture Frame you detach certain attributes from the Picture Frame's link back to the Master Page.  In this case, the attribute that is unlinked is "Structure".  If you look at the Picture Frame layer in the Layers panel you will now see it has a dotted orange line next to it, which indicates certain attributes are unlinked from the Master Page.

Note: Other attributes of the Picture frame such as its positioning or stroke etc, are still (at this point) linked backed to the Picture Frame on the Master Page

Since the "structure" attribute of the picture frame is now unlinked from the master page, deleting the picture frame on the Master Page will not delete it on the normal page.  (Presumably, this is how it has been programmed to work with Picture Frames)

To now delete the Picture Frame from the normal page you would need to select the Master A layer in the Layers panel, right-click and select Edit Detached, you will now be able to delete the Picture Frame.  (once done click Finish at the top of the Screen).

What I don't understand is when you say

10 hours ago, Honken said:

I TRIED THIS SOLUTION, BUT IT DIDNT WORK: 

6. Deleted the master page A and made a new one. 

7. Applied the NEW master page to the page I was working on.

(6) Deleting the Master Page A should have removed all Master Page elements from the normal page

(7) Applying a New Master Page should also have deleted all the old Master Page A elements from the normal page, assuming you left the option "Replace Existing" ticked 

Are you able to replicate steps 6 & 7 in a new document and get the same result?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

16 hours ago, Honken said:

3. Ok I see! I was wrong to use a picture frame as reference (use guidelines instead)

On a separate question, I don't understand that comment. A picture frame should be perfectly fine to use, and in many ways better than guides.

Can you explain the problem you found with using the frames, for your workflow?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/16/2019 at 6:30 AM, carl123 said:

To now delete the Picture Frame from the normal page you would need to select the Master A layer in the Layers panel, right-click and select Edit Detached, you will now be able to delete the Picture Frame.  (once done click Finish at the top of the Screen).

Thank you for the great reply, that answered my question and helped me solved the problem with what I called a "ghost picture frame" - it was a feature in the Layers panel all along. 

On 9/16/2019 at 12:38 PM, walt.farrell said:

A picture frame should be perfectly fine to use, and in many ways better than guides.

Yes, you are right! But as you can see in my attached picture, In my case I need the picture frames to be guides for a couple of different sizes of ads, from half a page to a quarter, eights and 16th of a page. 
As of now the picture frame "snaps" the ad - of any size and puts it in the 16th, as it should. So thats why I have to use guide-lines instead. 

Skärmklipp 2019-09-19 13.49.06.png