You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed not working after Artboard created in Designer

I’m am new to bleeds, so maybe I’m doing something wrong, but…

If I create a new document in Designer for iPad, and in the document setup dialog I don’t create an artboard, then once the document is created, I can select Bleed from the document menu and add & change bleeds on any side.

If, however, I create a new document and select Artboard in the document setup dialog, then once the document is created, I select Bleed from the Document menu, I get the options to view & create bleeds, but they don’t show up. Also, the Include Bleed option is disabled on PDF Export.

Likewise, if I create a document without artboards, and then add a bleed (say, on just 2 sides), it works fine, but once I selecte Document—>Artboards and add an artboard, I can no longer add or edit the existing bleeds.

Are bleeds meant to work with artboards?

Can different artboards within a single document have different bleeds? (I’m guessing not.)

Thanks.

Running latest iPadOS on first generation iPad Pro 12.9˝ with Apple Pencil 1. Also latest macOS on MacBook Air with M1 chip.

Oops. I’m running the iOS (iPadOS) 13.1 beta, so I guess this should be in another forum. But I’ve searched and found similar problems with bleeds on iOS 12, so I don’t think it’s the beta causing problems.

Running latest iPadOS on first generation iPad Pro 12.9˝ with Apple Pencil 1. Also latest macOS on MacBook Air with M1 chip.

OK, as long as your document isn’t too complex, there’s a simple workaround. The artboard addition isn’t terminal.

1. Go in and select everything but the artboard itself, then copy it to the clipboard (not sure what the limit is? Is there a warning if you exceed it?).

2. Delete the artboard(s). The document retains the size of the last artboard deleted.

3. Paste everything back in (but still no artboard).

4. Add/change bleeds to your heart’s content. They work!

5. Optional: add back in the artboard(s).

It’s a known bug. Hopefully fix coming in next release. :/

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/