You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed removes bleed background when exporting

• Staff

Hi Shane,

Your background colour isn't placed in the Bleed Area. The application doesn't stretch the edges of the page to make the bleed, it is reliant on you working into that bleed area.

See attached. Notice the image in the 'Incorrect' screenshot that the image isn't placed against the bleed guide, but in the correct it is.

Correct.jpg

Incorrect.jpg

The last version I used 1.6.5 to send labels to the printers worked fine. 

The bleed does not export, my original drawing (label) was 5.25Wx4.25H with 0.125 bleed for a 5Wx4H label. The bleed area would show up as white space or transparent. I resized to 5Wx4H and to bleed shows up as it should but only exports the 5Wx4H so the does not show up in the resulting file. Bleed set at 0.125 should be inside the document not outside the document. it the image you show as correct above the bleed area is black and a printing company would print a nice black border around you image. Bleed should be inside the image as to whole reason for it is to create a Die Line for the printer to cut on, basically trimming of the excess print. it's like a mechanical crop that the printing company does.

From Wiki: In printing, bleed is printing that goes beyond the edge of where the sheet will be trimmed. In other words, the bleed is the area to be trimmed off. The bleed is the part on the side of a document that gives the printer a small amount of space to account for movement of the paper, and design inconsistencies.

The Screen 5Wx4H inside is what a bleed should look like but when exporting it only exports the document size an therefore is usless.

Looks like I'll have to uninstall and go back to 1.6.5

Screen 525Wx425H bleed outside.afdesign

Screen 5Wx4H bleed inside.afdesign

• Staff
42 minutes ago, Shane Coombs said:

The bleed does not export, my original drawing (label) was 5.25Wx4.25H with 0.125 bleed for a 5Wx4H label. The bleed area would show up as white space or transparent. I resized to 5Wx4H and to bleed shows up as it should but only exports the 5Wx4H so the does not show up in the resulting file. Bleed set at 0.125 should be inside the document not outside the document. it the image you show as correct above the bleed area is black and a printing company would print a nice black border around you image. Bleed should be inside the image as to whole reason for it is to create a Die Line for the printer to cut on, basically trimming of the excess print. it's like a mechanical crop that the printing company does.

This is not how we and Adobe do it.

You specify your final document size in the New Document/Document Setup dialog and how much bleed you want to add in the 'bleed' entry boxes. The software will then show a bleed area around your document size which you can then design into. This bleed area will show any objects you've placed in it. When you export you need to know the bleed value for placing crop marks for the printers, and not just automatically assume the bleed is 0.125".

I understand that my screenshot was maybe a little bit confusing, but that was because I disabled 'Show bleed' to illustrate the increased image size compared to the document size.

See the attached correction of your document. It is sized at 4" x 5" with a separate bleed of 0.125" set. This means that should the bleed need to be increased/decreased no maths has to be done on the user's side to get a final document size. When 'View > Show Bleed' is enabled the Bleed Area can be seen, and when disabled it will be hidden, which is why my screenshot shows it as a black area.

When the attached document is exported to PDF you can export with bleed and crop marks so they are correctly shown in the right place.

4x5 Crimson Ride 750ml_Corrected.afdesign

That worked to an extent, thanks. the Dieline/Bleed did not export to .EPS . I open the EPS and it's a 5.25Wx5.25H and shows 0.0 bleed that indicates I have to tell them it has a 0.125" bleed witch indicates this is a useless tool from a printing companies standpoint using EPS export, they want to see the dieline/bleed in the document and affinity does not export that information to a .EPS format. It did work in the TIFF (TIF) formant so cool. Thanks they work with .tif files so I'll just rename the .tiff to .tif and I'm good to go!

Actually it did not work what I thought was a dieline was just outline of the real dimensions that shows up on the export and can not be eliminated making it useless. What did work is just creating a new a new layer (DL) on the 5.25Wx4.25H label and  inserting a 0 opacity rectangle Y:0.125, X:0.125, W:5, H:4. The layer exports to a .tiff (tif) and can be toggled on for alignment and off for printing. Sorry for being a pain, I just thought the bleed would work the way I thought it should (creating a dieline). 

Hi Shane,

Printers marks don't appear to be supported for eps files in Affinity Designer but you can add them manually if they are required. The bleed itself is working as it should, if you add manual crop marks to Sean's updated file and ensure you have Include bleed ticked from the More option on the export dialogue then you will see both the bleed and the crop marks on the exported eps file.

My question would be why do you need to use eps as the export format, why not using pdf which has been an industry print standard for many years? Affinity can add automatic crop marks and printers marks to the pdf export without the need to add them manually as per the eps.

One quick observation on your artwork, the last line on the rotated text on the right of the label needs a space adding after the comma and before the word and in the final line (just in case this hasn't been picked up already).

operate machinery,and may cause health problems.

cropmarks.thumb.jpg.b807bd4dc024f9eac09bb453f4bf289c.jpg

bleed.thumb.jpg.9dd9460a97cb56d12a0519bc22ae2c82.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Good call on both points! my printer likes PDF, I have been using TIF witch they are not big fans of but the color comes out right, EPS came out to dark, but the PDF looks Great. I'm not sure how that space got deleted but I'm thinking I probably have a few thousand bottles out there with that mistake, Thanks on both points!

You could add a soft proof adjustment layer to your layers panel and adjust accordingly. This would allow you to see how colours are affected based on the relevant colour profile used by your printer and might help give you a better indication of how the final printed label should look. PDF would be a far better option...

https://bit.ly/2kNX0Lu

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse