You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document Templates?

I have a good setup for my magazine - and I'd like to save it as a template, so I can start up a fresh document from it.

Is this possible in Publisher?

It would be great if it were so I can just click the template and don't have to worry setting up preferences each time.

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough formulated:

When you create a new document, you put in pixel dimensions, choose if it is for print or online, set up bleed or no bleed, and if pictures are embedded and linked to....

I'd like to just pick the template "magazine" where all this is set, and I can start working, or the template "postcard", which is designed for print, or the template "business card"

My current work around is to copy the last document and clean out the content and create.

A template chooser when you open Affinity Publisher would be a good option I think.

PS: I do not mean to get a selection of pre-installed templates as we get in word processors. Those are always ugly beyond belief. I only mean to save PREFERENCES FOR NEW DOCUMENTS that we ourselves create.

50 minutes ago, World View said:

When you create a new document, you put in pixel dimensions, choose if it is for print or online, set up bleed or no bleed, and if pictures are embedded and linked to....

You can handle all of that by simply creating your own Presets in the File > New dialog.

But it sounds like you may also want additional layout information (headers/footers, location of text frames, location of picture frames, personalized text styles, color swatches, etc.). And if so, you can also do that today, without any additional support from Serif and enhancements to the Affinity applications.

It would be nice to have the additional support for a nice dialog to choose among templates you've saved, or to save templates in a special location. And someday it may happen. But it's probably not the highest priority enhancement that Serif has in the list.

The point is, that Affinity and your OS already give you all the capabilities you need to save your own templates, except for the nice dialog to choose the template for a new project. You can do it now by adjusting your current workflow a little bit. You said that now you're copying the last document and cleaning out the content. So just save a copy of the document earlier, before you add all the content that you would need to clean out.

Create an empty document of the proper format and layout. Give it a good name and save it in a folder that you create to hold your templates. Then mark it "read only" using Windows or Mac capabilities that allow that to ensure you don't accidentally overwrite it. When you need to use one of them you just open that folder, select and open the template, and then do a Save As to give it a new project name and location.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, World View said:

I only mean to save PREFERENCES FOR NEW DOCUMENTS that we ourselves create.

I may have misunderstood, but that statement makes me think that what you want is the ability to save presets of the new document settings, which is already possible. If that is what you are looking for, then maybe this screenshot will help you find it:

1152953711_ScreenShot2019-09-16at1_54_37PM.thumb.png.d4aade6cae23cdf6411142e83ff806e3.png