You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Persona in Designer and Photo

The Personas in Publisher are StudioLink personas which are unique to Publisher and different to the personas in Photo and Designer

Publisher's StudioLink personas allow you to seamlessly access many of the core features of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer without ever having to leave the main Publisher Interface or having to "run-up" any of the other 2 applications.  In order for the Designer and Photo personas in Publisher to function you must have also purchased the full versions of Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo (respectively).

The Personas in Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are self-contained personas, to the effect that they do not need any additional purchase of any other app (program).  They are not designed to give you access to any of the features found in the other apps whether you have purchased them or not.  Think of them as additional design environments for when you want to perform a specific task within the app that would be significantly enhanced by having its own custom interface and commands.

If you are currently working on a document in Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer and wish to access features found exclusively in any of the other 2 apps, you would use one of the two File > Edit in ...... commands located in the app.

This differs to StudioLink as you will now effectively leave the app you were previously working in, the "File > Edit in .........." app you requested will now "run-up" and the document you were working on will now open in that app.

The "Edit in ........." function effectively transfers your working document from one application to another, whereas StudlioLink allows you to work totally within  one application and to access features of other applications without the need to "run-up" those applications or transfer your document to those applications.

StudioLink personas are not available in Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer and Serif have not (to my knowledge) stated that they will or will not be added to future versions of the current products. 

Side note: Since Studiolink gives you access to many but not all of the features of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, Publisher also has an "Edit in ..........." command for when you need to access features not (currently) available via the StudioLink personas.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 this is such an excellent explanation!  I think it should be tagged somehow for a permanent first page spot on the Questions Forum.   There will be so many brand new Affinity users who will want to know exactly this!!  @Patrick Connor What do you think?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Dear All,

Thank you kindly for your responses.  All most appreciated!

I purchased all three programs - and had the Icons on the top left, until i updated and they disappeared - that is why I was confused. I'll be able to work around and make an extra click with the mouse to get more features for the project being worked on.  

your great explanation did help me - so I am sure that others would benefit from a post. Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, PJA11 said:

I purchased all three programs - and had the Icons on the top left, until i updated and they disappeared -

The additional Persona icons have never been in Designer or Photo; only in Publisher.

Your screenshots are showing the correct complement of Personas for both Designer and Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/15/2019 at 4:19 AM, carl123 said:

Side note: Since Studiolink gives you access to many but not all of the features of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, Publisher also has an "Edit in ..........." command for when you need to access features not (currently) available via the StudioLink personas.

A side note to this side note: :)

If you use this command it may not be obvious that you have access to all of the spreads/pages & Masters in the other two apps because those apps open to the current Publisher page. To change the page, use the page navigation buttons in the status bar at the bottom left of the window. They are functionally identical to the ones at the bottom of the Publisher Pages panel.

445777045_pagenav.jpg.f37170203a65ba46777537c65bd599a6.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 10 months later...