You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

continuing an existing curve

The documentation says:

"To continue an existing curve:
  1. Place the pen pointer over the final node on the path that you want to continue.
  2. Click once to select the node.
  3. Continue to place new nodes as needed."

However, I'm going spare trying to figure out how to make this work.  I'm testing by drawing a simple curve, just four points zig-zagging. I deselect the object. I then want to go back and continue the zig-zag line. I've tried selecting it first then changing to the pen tool and clicking the last node; I've tried going straight to the pen tool without selecting the object, clicking the last node then clicking to draw new segments/points.  I either end up with a new object or linework that is part of the same object but not joined to it (i.e. coincident vertices rather than a shared vertex). I just want to start from an open end point and continue adding segments from there. That also brings into question how to "weld" coincident vertices if I have two open paths in the same vector shape.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

8 hours ago, AndyQ said:

The documentation says:

"To continue an existing curve:

1. Place the pen pointer over the final node on the path that you want to continue.
  2. Click once to select the node.
  3. Continue to place new nodes as needed."

I assume this is from the Draw curves and shapes help topic, right? From what I can tell it is wrong (or at least badly worded or misplaced) because as you have discovered, this results in starting a new curve, not continuing an existing one with new nodes.

Instead, to continue an existing curve after it has been deselected, use the Node Tool to select one of its end nodes then switch to the Pen Tool to draw the next node wherever you want it placed (not over the already selected end node). This is easy to do with the Pen Tool selected by holding down the shortcut key (CMD on Macs) to temporarily switch from the Pen to the Node tool.

3 hours ago, CPC said:

You need to select the 'Add...' option as shown in the attachment.

That will add a new curve (like the tool tip says), not continue the existing curve like I think @AndyQ wants to do.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, AndyQ said:

I just want to start from an open end point and continue adding segments from there.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

So after reading the other topic (or just trying what the documentation says about  continuing an existing curve) can we all agree that the documentation is wrong & what it suggests does not do what it says it does?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

That will add a new curve (like the tool tip says), not continue the existing curve like I think @AndyQ wants to do.

From my experiments last night using the "Add new curve to selected curves object" icon in the Context Toolbar can work as an alternative to selecting the end node with the Node Tool and then using the Pen Tool to continue the curve.

But one must be careful to examine the shape of the node when one is clicking on it with the Pen Tool, and the shape of the Pen Tool's cursor. Some combinations work, and some give an additional curve. When it works, you end up with a single Curve object, though the History says "Add curve" rather than "Extend Curve".

You need the node to remain a square when clicking on it, and the cursor to be the standard * shape.

However, once or twice I ended up with a (Curves) object, but I haven't figured out when or how that occurred, yet. It happened both when I was using the Node Tool to select the end node, and when I was using the Context Toolbar icon.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

From my experiments last night using the "Add new curve to selected curves object" icon in the Context Toolbar can work as an alternative to selecting the end node with the Node Tool and then using the Pen Tool to continue the curve.

I cannot duplicate that, regardless of the type of end node (Sharp, Smooth, or Smart), with or without the "Add New Curve To Selected Curves Object" option enabled.

Unless one of the end nodes of the existing curve is selected (meaning it is filled in with blue & outlined in red), I always (meaning without exception) get the start of a new curve. The History panel confirms this, & the status bar text at the bottom of the window tells me to "Click or Drag to create starting point of new curve." It does so whether or not the Pen Tool is placed over an end node.

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I cannot duplicate that, regardless of the type of end node (Sharp, Smooth, or Smart), with or without the "Add New Curve To Selected Curves Object" option enabled.

In that case, I suspect there may be a bug in the Windows version or the Mac version.

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Unless one of the end nodes of the existing curve is selected (meaning it is filled in with blue & outlined in red), I always (meaning without exception) get the start of a new curve.

But even having the end node filled with blue and outlined in red is not a sufficient condition to avoid getting the start of a new curve. Clicking on an end node with the Pen Tool (with "Add new Curve" not enabled) can give you an end node like that. Yet the next click will give you a new node and a new curve.

But with "Add new Curve..." enabled I get a continuation of the existing curve. Most of the time.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

Instead, to continue an existing curve after it has been deselected, use the Node Tool to select one of its end nodes then switch to the Pen Tool to draw the next node wherever you want it placed (not over the already selected end node). This is easy to do with the Pen Tool selected by holding down the shortcut key (CMD on Macs) to temporarily switch from the Pen to the Node tool.

Thanks! - that does the trick. I'd resorted to workarounds joining multiple objects with "join curves" and was getting a bit cranky.....

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But even having the end node filled with blue and outlined in red is not a sufficient condition to avoid getting the start of a new curve.

On my Mac it is if "Add new Curve" is not enabled. If it is enabled, then a new curve is begun -- even if the node is placed on top of a selected end node. Like I said, this behavior is 100% consistent with what the status bar prompts & History panel indicate should & did happen.

Affinity Photo