You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photos in Catalina won't save edits from Affinity photo

Who I  use Affinity from the edit option in Apple Photos, the edited image does not save when it is returned to the transition screen in Apple Photos. I get an error message which in essence says unable to save try again later. I am running the latest beta of Catalina and have reported the issue to Apple as well. Is there some setting that I need to change. I have tried uninstalling Affinity Photo and reinstalling it but that has no effect.

@Paul Buckingham

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

I have to start by saying I am not a Mac owner/user but I have received emails from at least two different manufacturers of audio software and VSTis asking that Mac users do not download and install Catalina because of "known incompatibilities/problems".   I wonder whether Affinity apps are similarly affected?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Hello Paul and welcome to the Affinity forums:)
Actually this may not be the fault of Catalina (beta), but at least in part a problem within the latest retail version AP.
See these two threads:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/91443-affinity-photo-has-stopped-saving-directly-back-into-mac-os-photos/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/58871-editing-in-ap-from-apple-photos/

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 4 weeks later...

Can be cured in Photo by clicking edit, click the circle with 3 dots, Manage. Untick all the Affinity extensions. Quit Photo. Relaunch Photo, click edit, click the circle with 3 dots, Manage. Tick all the Affinity extensions. But still get error if resizing upwards.

Edited by Dizzypole
Additional info required

I was able to import and save edited photo:  As stated above import by extension, edit in Affinity Photo, export, then click share and the image will be stored in iCloud Photos.  Not a great workflow.  In another thread I created, I was informed that workflow will improve.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok here is I got around this problem :-{   i edit in photos select the three dot icon select external editors save in external editors back in photos reselect the external editor it should take u to external editor then to affinity photo edit your picture save then save in external editor picture should be in photos 

I believe the problem has something to do with the flattening of the photo as I played around with this at one point it ask me to save flattened and it when to photos don't no how I did it this is a real problem as I use my Mac pretty much only for photos Catalina really pissed me off hope this gets resolved soon because this process is more difficult in work flow

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, pmdegroot said:

Hi, I also have this problem....

If you have not already found it there is a beta now that mostly works with Apple Photos on Catalina you can try. It can be found here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/104964-affinity-photo-customer-beta-180163/

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 11 months later...