I could really use a destructive crop method that can be triggered by shortcuts for processing large numbers of files. I know that many people would say that having a  non-destructive crop is better...just not in all circumstances.

Here's the scenario.I am managing a hundreds of photos of students for our school database. The photos are all rapidly taken with lots of extraneous background and very poor centring. They are also just too big in file size and bloat the database if loaded as taken (yes I know, better source photos would be great, taken at a lower resolution...yes we have tried to train the staff)

This was possible in photoshop with a selection and a series of shortcuts:

• Rectangular selection (based on a ratio)
  • Crop (user defined key strokes)
  • Image size (Shift-Command I)
  • Save at a lower resolution (Command S and offered at save time)

In photoshop I managed about 200 files in about 25 minutes.

This would take hours in Affinity - batch won't work because this would require the same selection to be made each time.

What do you think? I know others miss this too...

As a second best, the ability to click-drag to expand the crop selection (ie expand from centre not at edge or corner) would be very welcome

Edited by Anjux3
more info

15 minutes ago, Anjux3 said:

I know others miss this too...

Yes, I'm sure similar things has been suggested many times...

1 hour ago, Anjux3 said:

This was possible in photoshop with a selection and a series of shortcuts:

Non-destructive crop is not the problem in this work flow. Crop tool settings to specific resample values should be sticky or set to default so you could just press C, adjust crop area (preferably just dragging), press enter and press CMD-S, CDM-W.

This, having crop mode and crop values preset, is not possible in AP. Also, adjusting crop area is too fiddly at the moment.

Yes, I'd like a destructive crop as well. There are many times when I just need to crop a file down to a specific size. Often times there's just stuff, or even white space, outside of my selection that is unneeded. I miss Photoshop's ability to Crop to Selection.

14 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Yes, I'd like a destructive crop as well. There are many times when I just need to crop a file down to a specific size.

You can use AP normal crop tool for it. Extra area beyond canvas borders will be deleted in export.

5 hours ago, Fixx said:

You can use AP normal crop tool for it. Extra area beyond canvas borders will be deleted in export.

To be more specific, I'd like to crop to a selection which AP currently can't do quickly like Photoshop.

To be honest the absence of destructive cropping is often the reason I will us PS instead of Affinity - I use 3rd party plugins. In order to apply to the cropped image I have to export the cropped image and then reopen it in Affinity. To use the vernacular this is a pain in the posterior. Why can we not have a simple choice when cropping to go for destructive or non destructive crop - seems such a simple fix . . 

2 hours ago, Howard Worf said:

In order to apply to the cropped image I have to export the cropped image and then reopen it in Affinity. To use the vernacular this is a pain in the posterior. Why can we not have a simple choice when cropping to go for destructive or non destructive crop - seems such a simple fix . . 

Is there some reason you can't simply use Layer > Rasterize & Trim... after you crop?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta

Didn't know it was an option. It works, thanks for that. But don't see why we can't have destructive cropping as the default. I can count the number of times I want an non destructive crop on the fingers of one foot.

2 hours ago, Howard Worf said:

But don't see why we can't have destructive cropping as the default.

Cropping in Affinity Photo has always been non-destructive, and I think it's one of the selling points.

I suppose that Serif could consider implementing a Preference that would defaut to non-destructive, but that you could set to destructive if you wanted to. Or perhaps a setting on the Context Toolbar for the Crop Tool.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta