You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop persona: Raws open way too dark

Hello together, 

I am aware that there have been threads on this topic, but none of them provided a solition. 

My problem: I've been in the process of developing some cr2 from my Canon 80D when the develop persona opened the raw files way too dark all of a sudden. 

This happened in between two images. One image opened just fine - the next one turned out way too dark (see attached image).

The thing that makes me really wonder what happened: When I now open the first one which worked normally, it now opens too dark, tooEven though it has worked before. 

I can't seem to find a solution to this problem and it breaks the software for me. I am dependant on a working develop persona and in the middle of delivering a set of pictures to a client. I love Affinity Photo + Designer and would be sad if I had to switch to Adobe because of this :-/

Any help is appreciated. Have a nice weekend!

affinityphotoraw.jpg

It's intresting that the preview in the Navigator panel is brighter than the image in the workspace.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi EssaEll,

Could you also send us your user data? Please do the following:
Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 and rename it to 1.1 and then send me the renamed folder using this private Dropbox link. You will have to zip it up first :) 

We have seen this a few times and have found it impossible to reproduce so your folder could potentially lead to us fixing this! 

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi EssaEll,

Could you also send us your user data? Please do the following:
Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 and rename it to 1.1 and then send me the renamed folder using this private Dropbox link. You will have to zip it up first :) 

We have seen this a few times and have found it impossible to reproduce so your folder could potentially lead to us fixing this! 

Upload complete :)

• Staff

Hi EssaEll,

Thanks so much for the folder. I'll begin looking into this now. I'm confident that a reset should fix this. Can you confirm that now you've renamed your original 1.0 folder to 1.1 you are not experiencing this anymore?

Or did you copy the 1.0 folder first and then rename it? Either way, we need to create a new 1.0 folder so the quickest way to do this (now that you've backed up your settings) is to hold Ctrl when you launch Affinity Photo and then click Clear when you see the prompt.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi EssaEll,

Thanks so much for the folder. I'll begin looking into this now. I'm confident that a reset should fix this. Can you confirm that now you've renamed your original 1.0 folder to 1.1 you are not experiencing this anymore?

Or did you copy the 1.0 folder first and then rename it? Either way, we need to create a new 1.0 folder so the quickest way to do this (now that you've backed up your settings) is to hold Ctrl when you launch Affinity Photo and then click Clear when you see the prompt.

Hi Chris, 

I did not copy the folder first, I just renamed it to 1.1. Afterwards I followed your instructions, hold ctrl while starting Affinity Photo and cleared the options that had a checkmark per default. 

Now the develop persona works as expected and my raws are just as they used to be. 

Thank you so much for repairing my setup for the moment. I hope the data I provided can help you to solve it permanently. 

Kind regards

I was having the same problem so after reading this thread, I went into Users/myname/Appdata/Affinity/Photo and was interested that the date on the 1.0 folder was 9/11/ 2018. I renamed the folder to 1.1 and copied it elsewhere. I didn't bother holding down the ctrl while booting up, but I saw it created a new 1.0 anyway.

The 1.1 folder shows that many of the files have last year's dates so this is obviously a potential pointer to the core issue.

Now I have proper processing back and I can stop using RawTherapee which I had to fall back to. I had seen lots of other suggestions for sorfting this bug out and wasted ages trying every permutation. If it helps, I have zipped the 1.1 and attached it

1.1.zip

• 5 months later...

I've been experiencing the same issue described above since I upgraded to v1.8. I found a handful of threads that discussed this issue but this one seemed to be the only one with an actual solution. I followed the instructions above but that sadly did not solve my issue. A couple things to note:

1. this isn't file specific; the issue is there for all my .NEF files.

2. This issue also coincides with a new Surface 7, but it's hard for me to understand how this could be an issue with the surface, given that like others, the preview in the navigation window is of the correct brightness/exposure.

3. My 32P settings are as they should be.

I appreciate any help I can get - thanks.

• 4 months later...
On 9/18/2019 at 3:33 AM, Chris B said:

Hi EssaEll,

Hi @Chris B, is there a way to do exactly the same thing on Mac ? I'm having the same issue.

Thank you!

• Staff

I do not think the dark raw preview is the same as the one in Windows. This was caused by a multiple monitor setup and the wrong display profile being chosen. That is fixed in the Windows beta.

On macOS, you want to make sure you are not developing to 32 bit (unless you have a capable monitor) and that the 32 bit Panel is not set to Unmanaged

I will use the sample image from the other threads to showcase what I mean:

Screenshot_2020-07-16_09_41_08.png

As you can see, if I uncheck the 'Unmanaged' setting, the image looks as expected:

Screenshot_2020-07-16_09_42_43.png

If you have an OCIO Display Transform set in Preferences > Colour and you have that setting enabled, it can also cause a difference in preview.

Notice my Navigator Panel always looks correct—this is because it is not colour managed yet.

If you are still affected after checking these settings, please attach a raw sample.

I will also include my Develop Assistant settings:

Screenshot 2020-07-16 09.44.46.png

Hi @Chris B,

you are right, the issue I'am having is actually different from the issue Windows users might have had. The issue I have is much more prominent when I create a pile from RAW files.

I am not developing to 32 bit and the 32 bit Panel is not set to Unmanaged (see below).

After reading though various threads in the forum, I tried a few things :

(1) this is the raw file in the Apple Photo App:

1679551422_Capture_decran_2020-07-16_a_08_56_27.thumb.png.720f97cebbaac58e78e7762a265c0cf5.png

(2) this is the raw file in AP, Develop Persona (appears darker):

1486277466_Capture_decran_2020-07-16_a_08_57_54.thumb.png.f0c2ead59fba7a4f85e233b66f6f4f43.png

(3) and the settings of the Assistant:

873405377_Capturedecran2020-07-16a08_57_21.png.d83a604854b6c623324e728ef14c10a1.png

(4) this is the raw file when I create a pile from the raw file then ungroup (way darker):

244004343_Capture_decran_2020-07-16_a_08_59_02.thumb.png.3cf6c4277760d3d8ab96f4270b54468d.png

(5) I changed the Raw Engine to the Apple One. Same raw file in AP Develop Persona (quite close to Apple Photo):

1040767530_Capture_decran_2020-07-16_a_09_01_40.thumb.png.80f1de52924dcdd974ad8f4a313b5ec0.png

(6) with the Apple Raw Engine, I created a pile from that one Raw file (nearly identical to the results in the Develop Persona):

1988474218_Capture_decran_2020-07-16_a_09_02_12.thumb.png.e62c103dac8c099cb5e75b6edb65e988.png

So yes, I guess I'm in the wrong thread, sorry! 

But it seems to me that the Serif Labs Raw Engine is not performing as it should when working with piles of raw files.

And I've also attached the Raw file: IMG_0191.cr2

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, S_B said:

The issue I have is much more prominent when I create a pile from RAW files.

If by "pile" you mean stack, then I suggest that RAW files should (at present) only be used in Photo and only via File > Open and File > New Batch Job.... Any other usage of RAW files invokes a shortened set of Develop processing (at least if the Serif RAW Engine is used; not sure when using the Apple Engine) that results in images that are darker than you would expect.

Prior to (I think) 1.8.3 File > Open was the only safe usage of RAW files, and then Serif improved New Batch Job... so it also uses the full Develop pipeline. But they have not applied that improvement to File > New Stack..., File > Place..., File > New Panorama..., File > New HDR Merge..., File > New Focus Merge..., or (as far as I know) to the other Affinity applications.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: