You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thanks for suggestions. I only have a Type 1 version of Helvetica, Helvetica Neue and Frutiger.
I installed them individually and there aren't any name conflicts with TTF or OTF's.
Apart from the Windows system fonts I have only installed 4 new fonts on my new PC at this stage.

The Frutiger styles have always appeared on the Affinty list, but Helvetica is consistently 'inconsistent'. Both fonts are Type 1.
I opened up latest beta version 1.8 today and complete list of installed Helvetica styles was available - so I will check again tomorrow.
I'll check out Trans Type if the problem continues.

On 10/6/2019 at 1:04 AM, Lagarto said:

My guess is that the cause for these problems is either of the superfamilies Helvetica Neue, or Frutiger (or some other where you have several substyles grouped under the same family), especially if you have mixed Adobe Type 1 (.PFB + .PFM pair) and TrueType/OpenType versions, since this is likely to cause name conflicts which may result in this kind of strange behavior. There is at least one post on Windows Publisher beta forum that is similar to this case.

I would start by uninstalling all Type 1 fonts and seeing if that already helps. Then re-installing one-by-one other than fonts from superfamilies, and finally pinpoint the one that causes the error.

Adobe apps arrange fonts more cleverly, and do not depend on Type 1 kind of meta data returned by system font enumeration that is often too generic (based on old 4-style family grouping), so that explains why you won't see this problem in InDesign etc.

Thanks Lagarto and Chris B.

I have learnt a lot from this process. I haven't had to think much about installing fonts before.

It looks like the issue may be solved.
I uninstalled all fonts from Windows (Except system fonts)

I ran every file I had for Helvetica fonts through TransType4  (which were stored in various folders) .
Including .PFM and .PFB.
I got a few pink assignments at first, but as I kept adding files they all went away. I'm assuming the file info may have got mixed up during multiple copies?

Anyhow the end result was totally clean list in TransType4...Untitled-1.thumb.png.5dfb7048d0603a37ee53ca36d55d5c9d.png

I converted them to OpenType PS.otf. and directed them all to a single folder. However they ended up splitting into many folders each containing 1-4 styles.
So it was a bit laborious to go through and install them individually but I did it anyway. I didn't need all styles but I wanted to see if they all listed.

1289475437_Annotation2019-10-11113031.thumb.jpg.1af50e004eb6b6a7efe69432b8c4be85.jpg

After a restart I opened AFDesigner  (Beta) and Publisher (older version) and all fonts are now listed correctly and in Families. 79 styles listed under Helvetica Neue.
They also now appear in the Windows 10 Font list.
I did all of this with the Trial version of TT4 but I'm going to buy it because I don't want to convert and install everything right now.

I'm hoping that everything remains stable from now on. Really appreciate all the advice Gentlemen  - I had no idea how to fix the problem.

Cheers.

Untitled-2.thumb.png.3aae7ef559dd77d1153f3f5dc127d11d.png

6 minutes ago, ChrisNZAK said:

I did all of this with the Trial version of TT4 but I'm going to buy it

TransType is one of the best utilities regarding fonts there is. And especially so if using older--and a lot of newer--fonts. It isn't perfect, in fact doing a family this morning I fixed two fonts of a large family after using TT. But it sure takes a lot of the work out of fixing fonts.

• 2 years later...

I've had a similar situation where I was only seeing the installed fonts, but not the activated ones. At first I thought because there's no plugin in FontBase for AD, but then I found out that FontBase actually needs to run in order to see and use the activated fonts 🤯🤯 And as a diligent manager of my computer's resources I've had it disabled for starting with the system startup. Don't be me and run your manager before you run your programs lol.

I must admit I've fallen for this myself more than once. Open a Publisher file, can't understand why the fonts look wrong, then realise that I haven't started FontBase!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad