You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI All, I recently purchased all three programs and moved to Windows 10 OS. I have a new PC so I'm starting from scratch - installing fonts onto my system.

I'm still using Adobe CS6 products while I transition to Affinity,
I have a lot of print files (Magazines, Ads, Flyers etc.) which use specific fonts that I have to continue using so in order to move I have to be able to access the font files in Affinity.

I have hundreds of fonts Truetype, Open Type and Postscript Type 1. The installed fonts all showed up in my Adobe Suite but not in Affinity?

I use FontExpert to manage installs but I have also tried installing directly to Win10 fonts folder.
The results are quite random. I get a different (Limited) selection of installed fonts each time I open a program - and never the full range of typeface options (Light, medium, regular, bold etc)
Is there a setting I am missing to activate the installed fonts?

Any solutions welcome?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply. It appears the problem is with Windows 10 and some fonts not installing correctly to the Fonts folder.
Maybe FontExpert is out of date or incompatible. 

I've tried the 'drag and drop to install' method (Settings>Personalization>Fonts) but that seems inconsistent.
But right clicking and choosing 'install for all users' seems to do the trick.

Thanks again for your help. Cheers Chris

In Windows Fonts folder under 'Font Embeddability' some files show as Editable and others Installable - both are accessible in Adobe software
but only the Editable are consistently shown in Affinity programs. The Installable fonts are the ones that appear randomly - so is it a Windows issue or Affinity?

Annotation 2019-09-16 124649.png

• Staff

The installable option on the font refers to how it can be embedded into a document and how the font is handled on another computer without the font when the document is opened,  Installable - Allows fonts to be embedded in the document and installed permanently in the computer while Editable - Allows fonts to be embedded in the document but only installs fonts temporarily in the system.

Can you please open the Control Panel and then Fonts  and under the Font settings please check if the Show/Hide fonts option has been enabled 

Are you using  FontExpert 2019 or an older version if it is an older one can you please close this program and then open the Affinity apps to see if the fonts are all showing.

Thanks again for your response. The Font settings box was unchecked so all fonts are visible as I understand it .
Strangely some fonts I tried to hide in the fonts folder (accessed through Control Panel) still showed up when accessed through  - Settings > Personalization > Fonts.

I have uninstalled Font Expert and installed fonts using Windows 'install for all users'.

I'm holding my breath but so far that seems to be working. Maybe Font Expert was causing the problem?

Really appreciate the help.

Cheers.

Annotation 2019-09-20 182442.png

• Staff

I have not seen any other posts from other user having a similar font issue on Windows, can you please confirm that you are running the current 1.7.2 build and can you please install the Affinity Designer 1.7.3 beta using the link below and let me know if the fonts are also missing from this version.

http://affinity-beta.s3.amazonaws.com/download/affinity-designer-customer-beta.exe

Can you also confirm id the Adobe CS6 suite has a font manager.

I am using 1.7.2 as below. I was using Font Expert with Adobe CS6 but I uninstalled recently.
CS6 has developed all sorts of problems running on the new system with Win 10 - missing palettes, and many other issues.
So I'm really keen to shift to Affinity.

I've installed 1.7.3 beta and opened the program 10 times with all fonts successfully loading!!!
So the new version may have solved the problem.
Thanks for your help.

image.png.ecec7b0777d6850af0eba6e0e56bb84f.png

Another day...opened new beta version and fonts missing again. Seems to be such a random issue.
Nothing has changed on the rest of my system. CS6 still loads all fonts.

I've noticed that a window opens occasionally saying 'new font added to cache' (or something like that)
This happens without any instruction from me - I'm not installing a font at the time.
Could Affinity suite be losing fonts from the cache after a PC shutdown? Because everyday seems to be a different list.

• Staff

Hi ChrisNZAK,

How many fonts do you actually have installed?

There was an issue that should have been fixed in 1.7.2 where we seemed to be limiting the number of font objects that Affinity could see. I believe this number was 9,999. You haven't reinstalled the 3rd party font manager have you?

Further to this topic, Affinity Designer seems pretty slow dealing with new font installations whilst running, locking up for quite some time with the ""font added to cache" message displayed This is on a Win7 installation with a font manager called Typograf, which is kinda dodgy, but I'm comparing the speed of reaction to AI CS6, AICC and CorelDraw on the same system.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

Hi Chris B.

There are 282 fonts in the folder. Most of them are fonts that came with Win 10.
I bought a new PC a couple of months ago and I have been gradually installing fonts as I need them for client work.
Trying to keep the new system clutter free!

At this stage I've added 8 Fonts with approx 110 styles. I uninstalled the third party font manager a few weeks ago.

I have set some of the system fonts to Hide - but they still show up in Designer? Which is annoying because I have to scroll through a lot of fonts I never use.
The hidden fonts also show up in Adobe Illustrator so can't complain about that I guess.

Just noticed another strange thing. I have installed Flexo Heavy, it's the only style I own.
It showed up on the list as Flexo and Flexo Medium, but only the Heavy style was available? See below...

Untitled-1.png

4 hours ago, ChrisNZAK said:

There are 282 fonts in the folder. Most of them are fonts that came with Win 10.

That’s a pretty small number! The ones at the top of the lists in your first screenshot (Goudy Stout, Haettenschweiler, etc) come with Microsoft Office products.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Affinity will not display faux fonts or synthesize styles so this may be why some weights aren't showing up. This is an intentional decision made by the developers as faux fonts can cause other issues.

This doesn't explain why your font selection appears to be random. It may be worth making a copy of your font folder, zipping it up and then sending it to us privately. We have to be very careful due to licensing etc. so we handle this type of thing with care. Let me know if this is something you would like to proceed with so we can create a private folder for you to upload the fonts into. 

• Staff

I've installed all the fonts but as far as I can tell, they are all appearing. There are a few missing weights but this is just because we aren't displaying any faux styles as I mentioned earlier.

I will keep checking as it seemed intermittent with you. You definitely don't have any font managers installed at present?

Thanks Chris. I'm really baffled now.

I've installed Frutiger from the files I sent to you - they all show up. Only one or two of the Helvetica and Helvetica Neue styles show up.
Did you manage to get all Helvetica fonts to install?

Can you share your installation process and are you using Win 10?

Yes I completely uninstalled the Font Manager. Just using the Windows installation method.

• Staff

Ah I just double-checked and cannot see the Helvetica fonts.

Because the zip files you sent had multiple folders, I spent some time moving all the fonts out of the folders (into one big one) so I could do one big copy/paste.

It looks as though the PFM and PFB files (that are both required) are unable to copy/paste/install into the Fonts folder and I'm struggling to figure out why. I hadn't spotted that they were not included in the mass paste I did. So I'm actually missing quite a few...

I have probably copied these files onto at least 5 PC's over the last 20 years. Originally I had them on a disk but the last time I copied from a flash drive.
My last PC, I only installed from the Type 1 file through a font manager or direct from the Win 7 install.