You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste new artistic text layer above/below current layer...

I noticed that when I create a new artistic text object via pasting, that it inserts the text as a new layer right above the lowest visible layer. If you are working with a lot of layers, you can quickly see that scrolling down to the bottom layer becomes inconvenient.

I would like it to paste the new layer either above or below the current layer. 

I would also like to be able to paste on the same layer (have one or more artistic text box on the same layer).

Any ideas on how to paste to get what I want?

Which app are you using?

There is currently no way to directly target pasting above or below a current layer, all newly created layers would be stacked above the layer selected. So you would have to manually select the ungrouped layer below to to have it pasted below the layer you actually want it to be, selecting the "current" layer would place any layer pasted above it. 

Each object has it's own layer but they can be grouped and if you are using Affinity Designer you can use a parent layer (Layer) or as in the other apps group layers together.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

22 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Which app are you using?

Affinity Photo 1.72.471

22 hours ago, firstdefence said:

There is currently no way to directly target pasting above or below a current layer, all newly created layers would be stacked above the layer selected. So you would have to manually select the ungrouped layer below to to have it pasted below the layer you actually want it to be, selecting the "current" layer would place any layer pasted above it. 

Hmmm.  But if the current layer is already selected (which it would when I am copying something), when I paste the new layer should be directly above the last selected layer. 

What is happening is that the pasted layer is placed above the lowest visible layer in the project.

• Staff

Hi 4EverMaAT :)

Sorry to hear this, I've tried replicating the issue here and each time I paste in text it always creates the layer 1 above my currently selected layer - the same as firstdefence.

Could you please provide a screenshot of your layers panel for me?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)