You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I copy and paste between channels? I would like to select one layer and copy it and paste to any channels [ Red, Blue, Green, Alpha] I need to do this from layers to channels and vice versa.
Please take a look on screenshot.

channels.jpg

Edited by JenV
add picture

Thanks but this is not helpful.
Affinity Photo is not native when you need to do something simple and logical. I don't understand why devs not use what we already have in Photoshop. Just do the same, why you need to create something weird and long and uncomfortable when you work with tools. You need more than 10 days to figure out how to use simple tools without tutorials.

Yes the video is great but still does not explain how to solve my question.
I understand that Affinity Photo isn't Photoshop but it doesn't mean you can't use that already exist like a Ctr+C and Ctr+V instead that Affinity Photo using not a simple way to do that and not even fast way. At least GUI looks friendly but this is not what artist looking for, sorry. Unfortunately I can't find how to do what I need with channels.

2 hours ago, JenV said:

Yes the video is great but still does not explain how to solve my question.
I understand that Affinity Photo isn't Photoshop but it doesn't mean you can't use that already exist like a Ctr+C and Ctr+V instead that Affinity Photo using not a simple way to do that and not even fast way. At least GUI looks friendly but this is not what artist looking for, sorry. Unfortunately I can't find how to do what I need with channels.

Ctr+C and Ctr+V still do the same thing in Affinity as Photoshop and every new software has a learning curve.

why not checkout the help support within the program? And the list of keyboard shortcuts in preferences.

I'm just a member being helpful, have nothing to do with Serif, contact them for a refund if you're not happy.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:55 PM, summersara said:

Ctr+C and Ctr+V still do the same thing in Affinity as Photoshop and every new software has a learning curve.

why not checkout the help support within the program? And the list of keyboard shortcuts in preferences.

I'm just a member being helpful, have nothing to do with Serif, contact them for a refund if you're not happy.

I using trial version and 5 days left and I don't get answer from devs on my answer. I would like to buy Affinity if I make sure that everything is working.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:19 AM, Wosven said:

You won't be able to copy and paste part of an image in a channel.

You'll have to convert your channels to B&W layers, paste and merge the part you want, etc. For us who played a lot with channels this way, it's a loss.

I think Affinity need to add additional way to copy and paste part of an image in a channel and not wasting time. I don't need to play with channels if this is a textures. I just need to copy and paste my textures in to channels and I can't do that in Affinity. I just want to find out how to do that.

• Staff
On 9/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, JenV said:

I using trial version and 5 days left and I don't get answer from devs on my answer. I would like to buy Affinity if I make sure that everything is working.

Unfortunately the current version of Affinity can't follow the workflow you've described - workarounds have been offered by other members however if you're not happy with this then I recommend posting a feature request in the relevant section of our forums, here.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hi there. From previous conversation I didn't get help from devs with my issue. So you said that I can't copy and paste layer to a channel, right?

Meanwhile after discussing and trying again and  yes you can copy to a channel.

Thanks to Hawley218 on twitter that help me figured out that.

• To copy your layer to RGBA chan you need to select layer.
  • R-click in channels box and select Create Spare Chan. It will create a layer in chan.
  • Then select this Spare chann R-click and now you can Load to your RGB or A channel.

I would like to add a picture with this example but I have a -200 error when I try to upload it.

Here is pic https://ibb.co/JxdXdjf

chan.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I'm an astrophotographer too. I produce narrowband images at different wavelengths as 16-bit mono images. I typically have three of these as registered 16-bit mono  images.

I'm used to assigning these to RGB in Photoshop by pasting the mono data into each channel, but for some reason when I do this in Affinity the data gets pasted into all three channels, even if I have edit protected the other channels.

In Paintshop Pro I use 'combine channels'.

I think the post above is explaining what to do, but the Help files don't explain how channels work very clearly so I am quite confused.

To be quite honest despite following the instructions it doesn't seem to help as the example all seems to happen in one document.

Is it possible that in future past could be set only to put information into editable channels? Pasting into edit locked channels seems like a bug not a feature?

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Devs need to listen to artist what they need Instead of pretending to be all-knowing with an inflated opinion about own product.

This is devs problem 😂 they don't know own product. I'm done with this.

Edited by JenV
lol

@JenV: great cheat sheet👍

As another way to achieve these channel mixing, i would suggest to use the "procedural text" filter - possibly as live filter.

You could achive the same functions (e.g. selecting only red channel) much simpler (without macros), and if you use 0..1 parameters, you could freely adjust and preview the share of every channel live.

copy background 3 times, set blend mode to screen

attach procedural text filter to each copy, set color as wanted

attach mask (white), paint black to delete

image.thumb.png.5216467124e207e8bec855832fb9ff86.png

image.png.6fdaebd03d7ec015623b6daf4b11192f.png

Bonus: if you add a forth variable to the alpha channel, you can gradually blend every channel globally.

Regards, Timo

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.