You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dimension lines / scaled drawings

I use drawing scales and dimension lines in DrawPlus X8 a lot and am currently assessing whether I can move to Affinity Designer. I have failed to find similar features so far. Are they hidden somewhere under new names, are they planned to be implemented in the future or are they simply missing from affinity products?

There is no facility for dimension lines and scaling, whether they are added later is open to speculation but for the foreseeable future I doubt it.

Is there a roadmap of future features available?
Yes – the current Affinity Designer roadmap is here and the Affinity Photo roadmap is here. Note all the features listed here will be made available in free 1.X updates.

Although I've just tried accessing the roadmap pages and I get an error page.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Is there a roadmap of future features available?
Yes – the current Affinity Designer roadmap is here and the Affinity Photo roadmap is here.

Have you tested those links recently? Neither one works for me. For both I get a message saying "We could not locate the item you are trying to view" with an error code.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you tested those links recently? Neither one works for me. For both I get a message saying "We could not locate the item you are trying to view" with an error code.

Yes I posted the links after I tried them, I thought it may have been a temporary page down or something my end wasn't working but obviously it's neither.

The links need updating.

Note: seems they might be updating, tweaking the roadmap pages that is why they cannot be found. It would have been better to put up a holder page with info on what was happening like..."We are currently updating the roadmap pages, thank you for your patience."

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

The links need updating.

I think it is that the roadmap pages have been removed, so there is more to it than just updating the links.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The roadmap mystery continues... :ph34r:

The roadmap pages have been MIA for ages! There’s been some quite lively discussion about the decision to hide the 1.x roadmap from public view.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

20 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The roadmap pages have been MIA for ages! There’s been some quite lively discussion about the decision to hide the 1.x roadmap from public view.

The discussions in those two topics had become "quite lively" long before they were hidden, & much of it had become inflammatory. :(

Affinity Photo 

• 5 months later...

Yes - Please, Please, Please include dimension lines which were useful for creating engineering drawings, floorplans, kitchen design and many other uses which I used extensively in DrawPlus X8. With DrawPlus I could use it to create drawings for proposed construction engineering drawings. I could use it almost as a CAD programme, but I could create complicated shapes much quicker and better than in CAD. Yes I can still use DrawPlus, but the Affinity programme designers are hell bent on making it a superb drawing programme for artists as opposed to practical design. It should be fairly easy to give us another tool for creating dimension lines as in DPX8 and it would open up your market to a completely new set of people. PLEASE consider this

Kind Regards

David

Mandrel Handle.pdf

• 8 months later...

There seems to be no progress with this. I presume that the silence from Affinity must mean that they have no intention of going down the scale drawing route.

I spent my working life in the clothing industry and there were always two types of "designers" around. Type one were practical clothing technicians who were hell bent on making practical patterns and shapes that would grade to fit various shaped people. Type two wanted nothing to do with creating patterns but lived with a pencil, sketch pad and pantone swatches of colours in their hands. These people were interested in image, colour and shapes. Neither type of "designer" understood the other mentality. Similarly it would seem that Affinity product designers are aiming at those people with out and out artistic nature and cannot understand why anyone should wish to create a dimensioned drawing with the software. 

I used to create line drawings of garments with Draw Plus to be used as production requirement illustrations. It was very useful for that.

I still hope that Affinity Designer will eventually have some tools to suit us practical types.

David    

1 minute ago, DavidSilverSteel said:

There seems to be no progress with this. I presume that the silence from Affinity must mean that they have no intention of going down the scale drawing route.

I don’t think we can reasonably infer anything more than that the features under discussion are not going to be added until later, although I’d be surprised if they make it into a 1.x update.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...

Hi Knotty

As far as I can see, there seems to be no plan to include plan drawing type of features to enable Affinity Designer to be used for Engineering drawings, kitchen fitters, architects,  or any of the more practical applications that DrawPlus was so good at. Serif, so far, seem to have aimed Affinity Designer at the more artistic side of the marketplace. It is a pity as I would love to use some of the new features of Affinity Designer, and would buy an update if it had the practical features that we both wish to see. Luckily I too still have DrawPlus, but the lack of dimension lines and scaling in AD does make it useless for many of my applications  and of limited use to us "practical types". 

As it is I use both. It is a shame that the file structures are incompatible with each other.

• 1 year later...