You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assets panel unresponsive

jatclat

My Assets panel is empty, and refuses to accept assets, in both Photo 1.7.2.471 and Publisher 1.7.2.471. It works okay in Designer 1.7.1.404. I exported Designer's, and imported them into Publisher. Publisher now lists the category, but doesn't give access to the assets.

In Assets make sure you have created a category using the hamburger menu next to the Assets tab

Once created that new category will have its own hamburger menu where you will find the option "Add from Selection"

just select something in your document then use that option to add it to your newly created category

Drag and drop has never worked in Windows it only works on a MAC

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Something seems to have changed since last time I wrote. I don't know why. The asset file IOS 12 which I imported from Designer now appears in all its glory, and I can copy assets from it to my documents. Also, I'm managing to create subcategories like Assets 2, etc, that you refer to. But I can't add anything to these subcategories. When I drag something across, it disappears altogether. Even the already populated I0S 12  subcategories won't accept anything.

• Staff

Hi jatclat,
Select the object on canvas then go to the Assets panel and select Add from selection from the subcategories menu icon on the right of the subcategory header. The Windows version doesn't support drag and drop from canvas to the Assets panel (it just moves the object to behind the Assets panel to the canvas or pasteboard area). Are you still having trouble adding them if you follow these steps?

Is the Windows Help file wrong when it says that drag and drop works? Or is it a bug that drag and drop doesn't work on Windows?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi walt.farrell,
Yes, currently drag and drop is only supported/implemented in the Mac version.

In which case, please fix the Windows version of the Help :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

13 minutes ago, Michail said:

Instead of correcting the help, it would be better to support D&D in Windows. :)

Yes, of course, but it sounds like Serif does not consider this functional discrepancy to be a code bug. (I disagree; any functional difference not mandated by the capabilities of the OS should be considered a program error, in my opinion.)

But if it's not a code bug, it must be a Help bug.

-- Walt
PC:

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But if it's not a code bug, it must be a Help bug.

It may be cheaper to customize the code than to change the help (including translations).

I hope Serif knows how to do it, and it just doesn't have a high priority for her. The most Windows users intuitively try D&D first. They don't search first in any menu, especially since D&D functions in the opposite direction.

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, jatclat said:

Sorry to say I'm back to not being able to add things to Assets, despite the instructions above. 

Since I last asked, I've installed the latest download. That's the only reason I can think of.

When you say "latest download" which one do you mean?

And you're saying that when you select an object, then use the hamburger menu on the Assets panel and choose Add From Selection the asset is not added?

addfromselection.png.3c74c38bd20f0dcbfe0998b0b2c9fbed.png

What kind of object are you trying to add? Can you give us a screenshot of the object, and of the expanded Asset panel after you've tried to add it?

Also, have you tried configuring the Assets to "Show as List" (via the hamburger menu on the panel, rather than on the category)? Sometimes Assets show up better that way.

-- Walt
PC:

Oh sorry, mistake by me. The Assets panel was indeed receiving objects. But I was adding text frames and shapes with no fill. As a result the asset wasn't showing in the Assets panel at all. Is there some way to make such things visible in the Assets panel? 

I've got 1.7.3.481.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Cannot drag objects into Assets) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer, and will be available in the next Affinity Publisher 1.8.0 beta build. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 5 months later...

I have an embedded layer with two adjustment layers. I can't get it to add to the Assets Panel. "Add from Selection"  doesn't work. Is the fact that it is embedded be the cause? Other items have been easily added.

I used "Place" to bring it into the file and it embedded itself without giving me the option.

Thank you.