You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Two issues - layer mask and ppi

Hi, I'm new to Affinity Photo. I have now tested different things and when my testing period is over I will probably leave my "old" editing program :-)
 but ... I have two questions right now:
1: I couldn't work with layer masks in the latest version, but when I downloaded an earlier version then it worked perfectly. Why?
(I have macOS Mojave 10.14.6)
2: I open a photo that has 300ppi, I make some adjustments and when I save / export it, regardless of file extension, it's only at 72ppi. How do I keep the resolution 300ppi?

I hope to hear from you soon :-)

• Staff

Hi CeLa,

Welcome to the forums :)

1 hour ago, CeLa said:

I couldn't work with layer masks in the latest version, but when I downloaded an earlier version then it worked perfectly. Why?

This is a bug our development team are aware of in version 1.7.2 and will be fixed in 1.7.3, more info can be found about this here - 

1 hour ago, CeLa said:

I open a photo that has 300ppi, I make some adjustments and when I save / export it, regardless of file extension, it's only at 72ppi.

This depends on a few things, firstly when you open the file please go to Document>Resize document and let me know what DPI is reported here?

Secondly when exporting your DPI should be retained as set in the document. Could you provide a sample image where you are seeing this happen please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thank you Dan for your quick answer :-)

A bug, good that I got to know, I got almost more gray hair than I already have ;-)

Regarding resolution:
This happens when I open. cr2 or .cr3 unedited photos from the camera (I only shoot raw). Already edited photos, the resolution remains intact :-)
In - Document> Resize document the dpi is set to 72.
I changed to 300dpi, unchecked resample and the photo got its 300 ppi when I saved. Thanks!

Is it possible to have the resolution set to 300dpi by default in the settings? It had saved some time in my workflow. ;-)

• Staff

I'm glad to hear it :)

On 9/13/2019 at 4:53 PM, CeLa said:

Is it possible to have the resolution set to 300dpi by default in the settings?

Unfortunately this isn't an option you can set currently, my apologies!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)