You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overwriting Original Files in Batch

Stevoster

Hi there,

I regularly run a batch to apply a macro to hundreds of .jpg images. I want to overwrite the originals with the batch output. Is there a way to do this? When I save to the same folder, it just creates a duplicate and I then have to sort by date and delete all the old ones. 

Save and Save-As are disabled in Macro Record mode so that's no good. 

I'm probably missing something obvious. 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve.

All I do is check the original location option, and usually it will happily resave over the original file.

But in an experiment I just ran, about 2 out of 5 times it created a new photo, with a time-stamped name. I have no idea why it sometimes does that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, Stevoster said:

When I save to the same folder, it just creates a duplicate and I then have to sort by date and delete all the old ones. 

Never seen that before, where are the files you are processing located?

Local drive, external drive, networked drive, cloud etc

and does the folder have any automatic syncing (e.g. to/from the cloud) setup?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

If it was me I would try running a few batch jobs using just files on the local drive to see if I could replicate the problem.

If the problem just occurs with the external drive that may help "someone" figure out what could be causing it.

If not, at least you have eliminated the "external drive" factor as a possible cause.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hey! Bingo - when I did the same thing on the same files no my internal Mac drive it overwrote then no problem. Is this an AF bug or what? Can I raise it with the team somehow? Doesn't bother me now that I know how to get around it but I'm guessing the developers might want to fix it. 

Thanks for getting back Carl and for your great & clever tip - I really appreciate it! 

Steve.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Stevoster said:

Is this an AF bug or what? Can I raise it with the team somehow?

Hi Stevoster :)

It certainly sounds as though this is the case, I'll move your thread to the bugs section of our Forums for our QA team to investigate further and log as appropriate!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)