You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: PDFs don’t open correctly

When I open PDfs in Affinity Publisher, they don’t open correctly. Example:

new.jpg.fd5b8ce82344be39dc8a7af0f8b90cf7.jpg

If you look carefully, the letters at the bottom and near the top cross the lines on the grid (The grid lines are part of the PDF). 

Here is how the PDF looks before it is opened in Affinity Publisher:

original.jpg.e417eb4d15b17e536005295fa063fe43.jpg

In the original, none of the letters cross the grid lines.

How can I fix this, so they open properly? Thanks! 

Do you open the file or do you place the file in Publisher? If you open the file, uncheck "Favour editable text over fidelity" and "Group lines of text into text frames". If this does not work I don't have a better solution for you.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Could it be the lack of support in APub for embedded fonts that is causing the problem? There are many threads on the subject here.

My work around is to open the PDF (NOT in an Affinity App) and print to a PDF but going to advanced settings to ensure that NO fonts are embedded.

I use the Foxit Reader PDF Printer driver and do the following from the print dialogue:

Properties- Default settings (High Quality Print) Image Resolution 300 -

Click Edit 

Select Fonts > Select Don't Embed any fonts (you can choose to save this profile)

Save as - Use original file name+ NOT EMBEDDED

Import THIS pdf into Affinity publisher.

I've also tried doing the above using Inkscape (which has an export PDF feature) but I found that it was more fiddly some of the graphics were missing and I needed to edit the result.

@Catshill

I am using a Mac and so don’t have access to Foxit. But I tried using Acrobat Pro (10.1) to re-save it, selecting the option to unembded fonts. The only font available to unembded was Droidsans pro (the other font in the document was helvetica, but there wasn't the option to 

7 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Do you open the file or do you place the file in Publisher? If you open the file, uncheck "Favour editable text over fidelity" and "Group lines of text into text frames". If this does not work I don't have a better solution for you.

I open the files (not place) and uncheck both boxes, but same issue. 

Edited by big smile

• Staff

Hi big smile :)

If you convert the text to curves when saving the PDF, you should find that the PDF is not altered when importing into Affinity, as it no longer reads 'text' but simply vector objects. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

14 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi big smile :)

If you convert the text to curves when saving the PDF, you should find that the PDF is not altered when importing into Affinity, as it no longer reads 'text' but simply vector objects. I hope this helps!

Do you mean when the PDF is originally created? I don’t have access to where it is first made. Do you know of a tool that can do this? 

• Staff

Unfortunately so, yes. If you don't have access to the point at which the PDF is being created this is certainly more difficult, as any app with this functionality will need to read & 'parse' the PDF, which can cause the same inaccuracies that you're seeing in Publisher currently.

I don't personally know of any other tool for this, but hopefully other forums members may be able to advise here.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 9/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, big smile said:

The only font available [to unembed] was Droidsans pro

Droid Sans is a free font, so you could simply download and install it before opening the PDF file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, big smile said:

@Alfred, thanks for your help! It turns out I already had Droid Sans installed. I reinstalled it, but still no dice. :/

Check the tracking in each run of text. I’ve often found that it’s set to a non-zero value for an imported PDF, and setting it to zero in each case fixes the layout.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

27 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Check the tracking in each run of text. I’ve often found that it’s set to a non-zero value for an imported PDF, and setting it to zero in each case fixes the layout.

Sadly, fidling with the text in Affinity didn’t help. Thanks for your suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

You can log this as a bug at the below link, as our developers can use this file to try and improve our PDF importer in the future.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/80-report-a-bug-in-affinity-publisher/

Please note -

Many thanks!