You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't open Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher

For some reason I'm unable to open any of the Affinity applications I own, i.e. Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher all fail to start in 64 bit Windows 10 Home. When I try to open any of those applications, the icon flashes quickly in the task bar and then disappears and I get no error messages.

However, each time I try to open the application a dmp-file is created in:

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports\reports

Here are examples of the dump files:

b4679703-4a69-4a21-b7ab-4b57ad69ddb9.dmp

1c16f748-7dae-4f09-8547-daa395a88470.dmpb5fb46bb-9ecd-43d8-8290-ae0640112a0d.dmp

I have tried uninstalling the applications and reinstalling them, rebooting the computer after removing and reinstalling the apps. Also tried repairing the installation with the installation applications, but nothing has helped.

I'm not sure if Windows updates are causing this, but these were applied yesterday and at least one of them is related to .net framework.

windows_updates.thumb.png.eb0b98c8055b4a2669134df00ed1f804.png

Could that be causing the problems as the only dmp files I can find in those folders have been created today, i.e. after the updates from yesterday, and this is the first time I'm experiencing these problems?

Any other suggestions I could try to get the apps working?

33 minutes ago, JariK said:

The cause of the problem is one of the Windows updates listed in the screenshot in my post.

There have been a couple of posts stating that removing KB4515384 has resolved the problem

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Just to update this thread. 

Our QA team are in the process of trying to replicate the issue, so this is being looked into :) 

For now, as @carl123 has pointed out, uninstalling KB4515384 should resolve the issue.  Also it appears that update has caused other issues in Windows, so i'd expect an update for the update, shortly from MS :) 

@JariK Welcome to the Forums and also thank you for such a detailed posted.  The DMP files will be handy if we can't replicate the issue in house :) 

• Staff
9 minutes ago, tiomel said:

For me to uninstall the KB4515384  has solved the problem, tonight Windows has been updated again and for the moment everything is working.

Hey tiomel,

So Windows updated and didn't put KB4515384 back on? Or it is there but now works? 

15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey tiomel,

So Windows updated and didn't put KB4515384 back on? Or it is there but now works? 

First I uninstalled the update, Affinity Designer and Photo started working, but last night when I turned off the Windows computer it was updated again and reinstalled the update KB4515384, and now the programs are running smoothly. Perhaps the problem comes from a poor installation since that day was installed in addition to the aforementioned other .NET Framework. It is just an assumption.

Thanks for the crash dumps @JariK, I've taken a look and these are actually crashing in d3d9.dll (that's Microsoft's Direct3D9 API, which is used by Microsoft's WPF which we use for the user interface). I have no idea why the crash is occurring, and unfortunately it's not in any of our code, so if we can't get a workaround sorted out, you may have to report these directly to Microsoft.

I now let Windows install all the latest updates again to my restored Windows installation and after the update the problem reappeared just like before. Then I uninstalled only KB4515384 and after that all three apps opened normally without any problems again. I find it weird that for some users this update causes issues and for others none at all. If anyone can figure out why that is, and even finds a solution to this, let me know, as I'd like to keep security updates up-to-date and the apps working. For now I'll have to leave that one update uninstalled.

@JariK

Some users have reported that after deleting just KB4515384 they can then reinstall it (KB4515384) and the problem does not come back.

You might want to try and reinstall it now, reboot then check all three apps open normally.

At least that would  keep your security updates up-to-date if it does indeed work

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I reinstalled the update and the problem reappeared, BUT, I found a solution to this problem! It appears that the problem is caused by MSI Afterburner which uses d3d9.dll while Afterburner is running. By closing Afterburner from the background, all Affinity applications opened, as they should, but now with KB4515384 installed.

I just installed affinity photo this morning, first time install never had an affinity product on my machine. Affinity photo would not launch after the fresh install.

Uninstalling KB4515384 did allow for affinity photo to run, however the security updates are more important to me. So I can live with affinity photo not launching for the time being. (To clarify, after reinstalling KB4515384, Affinity Photo did not launch.)

I can also confirm that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll is causing the crash on launch in my case as well. However, I do not have MSI afterbunner running.

1 hour ago, 3djon said:

I can also confirm that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll is causing the crash on launch in my case as well. However, I do not have MSI afterbunner running.

Check what other applications you have running in the background and close them one by one to see if any one of them is the culprit. 

1 hour ago, JariK said:

Check what other applications you have running in the background and close them one by one to see if any one of them is the culprit. 

GG! Looks like Rivatuner Statistics server is also causing a launch conflict with Affinity Photo!

I use Riva Tuner for a system wide FPS limit on all my 3D applications, game engines, and games.

6 minutes ago, 3djon said:

GG! Looks like Rivatuner Statistics server is also causing a launch conflict with Affinity Photo!

I use Riva Tuner for a system wide FPS limit on all my 3D applications, game engines, and games.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Ok found problem, Riva Tunner statistics Server. Before the Windows Update KB4515384 Affinity Photo , Designer and Riva Tuner could work together. Fortunately I have found a way for them to continue working together. Simply create a profile for the Afinnity applications in Riva Tuner, and in those profiles set "Application Detection level" to "None". With this Riva Tuner will continue to work for the rest of Apps.
Forgive my English, I use a translator.

Edited by tiomel

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Affinity's Dan in Tech Support, I can also confirm that it's RivaTuner that has been preventing Photo(.exe) from launching (on Windows 10, in my case) for the last several weeks, if not months. 
Navigate to your Affinity install folder and add Photo.exe, Help, and crash_haldler (located inside the Crash Handler folder) to the list in RivaTuner, then set each ones Detection Level to None.