You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to convert text to 100% black and not rich black

How to convert my text to 100% black and not Rich Black.

My document is set on CYMK/8 and I export to a pdf using (flatten). This is causing a problem with printing at KDP. Text is not always printing clearly and it effects the black in images.

I thought setting the document as CYMK/8 would keep text as 100% black, but apparently not. 

Should I be exporting as a PDF/X and if so, which one? 

I am new to the printing settings, so any suggestions how to fix this would be helpful.

They also want me to make sure "text is not converted to images but is true text on each page" but I will open another topic for that. I am not sure exactly sure how the two issues relate to each other.

• Which application are you using?
  • How exactly are the black values defined?
  • Which document profile are you using?
  • Which output profile are you using?

The last point, you are listing, makes me assume, that there are possibly other issues in the game. Could you attach a small version of your Affinity document here? Then we will have a look.

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I can answer your questions but here's what I know. I've also attached a couple pages from the document, in the export format pdf(flatten) which is what I've been using. 

• Which application are you using?

Affinity Publisher

I don't know

• Which document profile are you using?

not sure if I understand but I'm using color format CYMK/8 and color profile U.S. Web Coated (SWOP)v2

• Which output profile are you using?

exporting to PDF using (flatten)

pgs 49 - 50 WIB to affinity forums.pdf

On 9/12/2019 at 5:09 PM, pdh said:

I don't know

Who did define the black values in your document?

– You can detect the initial/original color space of a swatch or color with un-selecting the lock icon 691262705_colorspanellock.jpg.ac39dfd8865ca99b80375afa316c99ca.jpg  in the color panel before selecting the black object.

– In the swatches panel are 4 default colors, 'none' included, the black is 100 K. 83333139_swatchespaneldefaults.jpg.b268389673a1fece23adad07e7afb5f9.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1