You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cropped screenshot turns out to be uncropped after import

I took a screenshot on my iPad, made a simple crop and saved it to photos, these are all system built-in functions of iOS, but when I imported that cropped file into designer, it's UNCROPPED(fullscreen)!!?? How is this possible? This really freaks me out. Anyone help explain this?

and I found the same issue in Affinity photo too, but not in other apps.

Affinity designer version 1.7.2.6

iOS version 12.4.1

• Staff

Hi old9 :)

Whenever you 'edit' an image through iOS (including cropping) this saves a new temporary version of the image over the same file - allowing you to revert the image back to it's default at any time.

When accessing any 'edited' image, Affinity apps are always given the original file, not the temporary edited version.

This is due to our iOS implementation with Files/Photos and unfortunately there's no way of 'forcing' Affinity apps to open the edited version - my apologies!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, old9 said:

I found the same issue in Affinity photo too, but not in other apps

12 minutes ago, Dan C said:

This is due to our iOS implementation with Files/Photos and unfortunately there's no way of 'forcing' Affinity apps to open the edited version - my apologies!

There must be a way if other apps can do it! It would be good to see this implemented in the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There must be a way if other apps can do it!

I've just tested this using Lr mobile and the cropped version of the image was imported - interesting.

I'll log this with the devs to see if our implementation of this was intentional :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C @old9 @Alfred

You can access the optimised edited jpeg version, simply use the drag and drop method from Photos app rather than the import from photos option.

Attached, same screenshot cropped and saved to photos, opened via import from photos, showing the described unedited problem, the other showing the cropped image after using drag and drop to the affinity home screen.

It’s actually quite important the app behaves this way as it means I can access my original resolution unedited files whenever I want too including my original raw files even when the iPad holds the lower resolution optimised versions. Hence I have 26000+ photos only occupying 7GB of iPad storage but 155GB of iCloud storage. It’s actually a very nice aspect of IOS photos as a digital asset manager.

B694602C-EB94-4DA8-A6D2-D7094A0413BC.png

2EB494B3-16D5-42B2-8A18-2CF57743E241.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff
9 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

You can access the optimised edited jpeg version, simply use the drag and drop method from Photos app rather than the import from photos option.

Thanks for letting me know Paul, that's certainly useful! :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 10 months later...

Hi, is there still no way to import directly modified image, without use drag and drop image ?

sorry but I don’t understand why I would like to import original image! If so I could revert it back in iOS 

that is a strange and unusual behavior !

thank you

2 minutes ago, iPa640 said:

Hi, is there still no way to import directly modified image, without use drag and drop image ?

sorry but I don’t understand why I would like to import original image! If so I could revert it back in iOS 

that is a strange and unusual behavior !

thank you

This is really a question for Apple, not Serif.

Alfred spacer.png

13 minutes ago, iPa640 said:

So why Pixelmator and others apps open the modified (temporary) version ?

Hmm. Good point!

Alfred spacer.png