You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Photoshop Plugins

• Staff

Hi yennhikorea,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Photoshop plug-in support is still being worked on. This should improve as we move forward but it may take a little since we also need plug-in developers support.

Currently some plug-ins are not recognised or may crash the app. I've compiled/tested a few ones "unofficially" here. Click on their names for more info.

Welcome to the AP Customer Beta Forum @blackest!

I don't think that is quite what several of us have been asking.  For example I can (and already do) do that by calling various Topaz plugins from Aperture (and Mike from Mesa does it through (I think) OnOne and/or photoFXlab).  What we are asking for is a plugin UI that allows us to access all the common plugins directly from within AP.  

Indeed, yes.

Hi yennhikorea,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Photoshop plug-in support is still being worked on. This should improve as we move forward but it may take a little since we also need plug-in developers support.

Currently some plug-ins are not recognised or may crash the app. I've compiled/tested a few ones "unofficially" here. Click on their names for more info.

Hi MEB,

it really is a useful information to me.

Thank you so much :)

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity Photo confirmed to me today via PM, that NIK Dfine at this time does not work with Affinity Photo. Hopefully this will change with the next update whenever that may be. I was able to get Nik HDR, Analong HDR and Silver Efex to work. The other ones do not work. 

I also tried using the free filters that MacPhun offers and they do not work. I sent them an email asking them if Noiseless will work with Affinity Photo, I'm awaiting a reply from them.

I really like using Affinity Photo hopefully they will be able to resolve the issues with the plugins that do not work with their next update. 

Does anyone know of any other plugins that do work with Affinity Photo? 

I installed Topaz Denoise  and I can use it as a standalone but when I tried to use it with Affinity I had no luck. Did I make a mistake getting the standalone version? I used the same procedure installing Topaz Denoise in Affinity that I did with the NIK filters I was able to get to work in Affinity Photo. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you 

I installed Topaz Denoise  and I can use it as a standalone but when I tried to use it with Affinity I had no luck. Did I make a mistake getting the standalone version? I used the same procedure installing Topaz Denoise in Affinity that I did with the NIK filters I was able to get to work in Affinity Photo. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you 

I have found that I can get all of the Topaz plugins to work properly with AP if I use Topaz' photoFXlab to launch them. That is, I use photoFXlab as the plugin and launch the plugins from that platform.

That process allows me to use even the "will not run" plugins like ReMask 5 with AP. It requires that you get the photoFXlab plugin but then all the rest will work. Or, at least, do for me.

I received a reply from Macphun. Their noiseless software is not compatible with Affinity Photo and neither is any of the software they have even their free software. I then asked them when it would be compatible with AP and they told them they did not have a date or know when it would be compatible. Perhaps if enough people email them asking them this very question they will realize that a lot of people are using AP and it would behoove them to make it compatible. 

As far as the ON1 guys, they have a real alliance with Adobe. They teach classes. ThIs tends to keep them loyal but perhaps they will see the light as AP becomes really sophisticated.

I suspect that it all depends upon sales volume. If AP becomes a major market presence like Photoshop, then and only then will the plugin people take notice and do what is necessary for compatibility. Until then I suspect they just don't think it is financially worthwhile.

On the on1 blog they do mention affinity. They state that their suite currently does not wotk but also  "That said, as the popularity of these third-party applications increases (such as Affinity Photo), we’re doing our best to offer ON1 integration with them in the future." I have already left a comment there in support of on1 suite working with AP. I think the more people leaving such comments this may help. The link is http://www.on1.com/blog/

The link you provided took me to a page with 10 videos on the first page and a total of 9 additional pages as well as 10 links to further blog pages. Could you clarify exactly where in all of that you found a place to ask for AP integration? I would like to add my endorsement as I do use OnOne from time to time but there is so much to wade through that it seems like a very time consuming act. Perhaps you could narrow it down somewhat?

Thank you.

Re Mike's post #130 and deva's #140, I suspect that the roadblock for most of the PS plugins will clear quite quickly once the mass-market  version of AP is up and running, assuming that is, that having done the basics for their Windoze version the various plugin providers will be more inclined to release a Mac version.

Mind you, I still don't understand why AP don't just do what others have done and release a "direct from Serif" version to sit alongside the MAS one. 

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about the problem of PS plugin filters not working with AP. Why doesn't Serif start creating their own filters for Affinity Photo. Once 3rd party plugin manufacturers see that people are buying these plugin filters guess what? They will start to make their plugin filters compatible with Affinity Photo. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am a total newbie and I realize this is the Beta thread but, has anyone tried using BatChmod?  It's a free app for Macs (not in the app store) that clears permissions without having to use the Terminal.  I was having trouble with Filter Forge 5 loading within Affinity Photo 1.4.2.  I directed BatChmod to Applications > Filter Forge 5 - then on the BatChmod window, I checked every single box including the one down at the bottom left, "apply to enclosed folders..." then "Apply" on the lower right hand side.  Restarted AP, opened an image, clicked on FF5 and FF opened within AP.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.