You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Integration Apps in Publisher

Hello,
I have the whole Affinity suite and my computer, but my question is this...
One of the main features of Publisher was the integration of Designer and Photo inside.
From there I can edit my illustrations or retouch some photography.
That means that if I only get publisher, would I have the whole suite?
Or wouldn't they work if I don't have AP and AD installed?

Actually Publisher doesn't open an instance of AD or AP when I want to edit something, but does it inside his own App.

I would like to understand if the App depends on the installation of the other two.

Thank you very much.

19 hours ago, Miltrin said:

if I only get publisher, would I have the whole suite?

Affinity Designer costs $49.99, Affinity Photo costs $49.99, Affinity Publisher also costs only $49.99. I assume, that mathematics speaks clearly :-)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 months later...

OK, I just got Designer & Publisher apps today on desktop PC.  Publisher is the only one showing the other two.  Is this all I get?

I was concerned about the other personas within Photo.  Can I get to them from within the Publisher switch?  Can't find them.

5 hours ago, tkarl__nn said:

Can't find them.

Because they are not available there. Perhaps they will be integrated later?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 minutes ago, Rossjackson01 said:

Can't see why there would need to be an intergradation in Designer and Photo for Publisher. Publisher 'hosts' the output from Designer and Photo, not the other way round.

I guess my English is too bad, so I can't follow here. What I would like to ask is, why only 90? percent of APh is usable within the Photo Persona? So for some special use case I have to "leave" APu and get the work done in APh, save, get back to APu and work with the output.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

15 hours ago, tkarl__nn said:

OK, I just got Designer & Publisher apps today on desktop PC.  Publisher is the only one showing the other two.  Is this all I get?

If you own Affinity Publisher you get a feature called StudioLink, which as mentioned above allows you to use the primary Persona of each of the other two Affinity apps without having to launch either of them, but only if you also have bought & installed those apps on your PC & they all are running the same up-to-date versions (currently 1.7.3). So for example, if you have the retail versions of Designer & Publisher but not Affinity Photo, the Designer Persona of Publisher is available but its Photo Persona is not. If you have all three apps then all three Publisher Personas are available.

However, only Publisher supports StudioLink, so in neither Affinity Photo nor Affinity Designer will you find a Publisher Persona. Also, StudioLink in Publisher only offers access to the features of Photo's Photo Persona & to the features of Designer's Designer Persona, so if you need to use the features of the other Personas of either Photo or Designer, you will need to open your document in one of those apps.

You can do this from within Publisher via the File > Edit in Photo... or File > Edit in Designer... menu item & return to Publisher via the File > Edit in Publisher... menu item in either of the other two apps. If you open a multi-page .afpub document in AP or AD, there is a set of small navigation buttons in the status bar at the bottom left corner of the workspace window that allows you to go to any page (including Master pages) of the .afpub document.

Note that all three apps use exactly the same native Affinity file format -- the .afpub, .afdesign, & .afphoto extensions only determine which app opens a native file format document by default. This means you can open any of these files directly in any of the three apps & use each of their File > Edit in menu items to switch among them. (An Affinity document can support either pages or artboards but not both, so in Publisher you have the option to convert any artboards the document might contain into pages.)

So, while you may not exactly get everything you might want, you do get quite a lot ... if you own Publisher & at least one of the other two apps. :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

So for some special use case I have to "leave" APu and get the work done in APh, save, get back to APu and work with the output.

As I mentioned above, you do not have to save before going back to APu if you use the "Edit in Publisher" menu item (although it is not a bad idea to do a save before using that menu item).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R  Your explanation above should definitely be included in  the Frequently Asked Questions section of these forums.  So clearly explained!   Hope the Affinities will consider it.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9