You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashing when opening a new document

I have Publisher 1.7.2.471 installed on Windows 10. Every time I click okay to create a new document Publisher crashes. The program just goes away. Loading the new document page from either the startup splash screen or from the File drop-down menu does the same thing. The page settings for the new document are the default settings left as is.

newdocument.png

• Staff

Hi muddyparasol and Welcome to the Forums,

Could you just call up the Run Box by holding down the Windows key and tapping the Letter R.  In the Runbox enter:

dxdiag

Click okay.  On the window that pops up, on the System section, put a tick in the box Check for WHQL digital signatures and then click on Save All Information.  If you can then upload that to our Dropbox here that would be a great help and i'll be able to advise further :) 

Also which version of Windows are you running?  If you can call up the run box and in it type:

WinVer 

Click okay and take a screenshot of that window and upload it to the above link :) 

• Staff
36 minutes ago, muddyparasol said:

C:\Users\MuddyParasol\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher

Can you just confirm that's where you installed Publisher to and not C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher

AppData is where we store the settings for the app, not somewhere you'd normally install the app to

• Staff

Hi Muddyparasol,

Thanks for the zip file.  From looking at the crash report it appears that d3dgear is causing the crash and it is listed on our known issues thread here.  If you've got D3dgear or any other screen capturing program, could you close/uninstall them and then try using Affinity again :) 

I'm having trouble finding D3dgear on my computer. I know I did have it installed at one time, but Windows says it is not currently installed. I'm trying to search if maybe there are other screen capturing processes that might be running in the background. I'm going to try restarting in safemode, see if that allows it to work.

Thank you for all your help!

I went through and uninstalled every screen capturing program on my PC. I never found any signs of D3dgear, but I did find others like bandicam, etc. I restarted the PC and unfortunately, the problem continues.

I restarted in safe mode, and in safe mode, I can successfully load a new page. So you are absolutely correct, there is something interfering with Publisher.

Now it's just a matter of finding what it is. I've searched and searched and cannot find any signs of D3dgear. I know since it is a third party software that is causing the problem I cannot expect you to fix it for me, but I was curious did the crash report give any other useful information? Like the file path of the D3dgear software that is causing the crash?

I fixed it! I tried one more last-ditch effort that was so crazy it might just work: I downloaded and installed D3dgear just so I could then uninstall it (my reasoning was that maybe when I originally uninstalled it, it left some parts behind by accident). Restarted my computer and now Publisher works just fine!!!

I can't thank you enough! I would have never been able to fix this on my own and I am blown away at how quickly you replied to my post. You are a rock star!