You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Muted Screen colours

Mags1892

Ive helped a few clients with this and not got to the bottom however on certain windows PC's with various graphics cards, the colours on the sliders are all MUTED the red for example looks pink on screen. ON my version its fine with my quality graphics card but on some of my clients it looks awful, an image in photoshop for example or even in windows photo looks sharp and reds look bright red, however when imported in affinity they are completely muted and the sliders in colour are also. This makes it unusable . 

3 hours ago, Mags1892 said:

an image in photoshop for example or even in windows photo looks sharp and reds look bright red, however when imported in affinity they are completely muted and the sliders in colour are also.

My first guess would be an incorrect Windows Display setting, with the incorrect monitor ICC profile assigned.

If you click on the Windows icon on the lower left, then type Color Management, Windows should find the Color Management application for you. Click on it, and check what ICC profile is assigned to the monitor. If it's not "sRGB" then try replacing the current profile with the "sRGB" profile, and see if that fixes the problem. (But take note of the old profile name, in case it doesn't fix it.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

My first guess would be an incorrect Windows Display setting, with the incorrect monitor ICC profile assigned.

If you click on the Windows icon on the lower left, then type Color Management, Windows should find the Color Management application for you. Click on it, and check what ICC profile is assigned to the monitor. If it's not "sRGB" then try replacing the current profile with the "sRGB" profile, and see if that fixes the problem. (But take note of the old profile name, in case it doesn't fix it.)

Im afriad not I tried that already im into colour management as a career so it was one of the first things, However it IS something to do with monitors and drivers as ive fixed it on other pcs before by messing with the driver settings. However it only effects affinity not photoshop or illustrator which work 100% fine. 

Sorted , It sems to be the default settings in colour management in windows not the profile associated with the monitor but the system defaults , when its changed to srgb default for devices it works. Weird how this only seems to effect affinity and not adobe products . 

2 hours ago, Mags1892 said:

Sorted , It sems to be the default settings in colour management in windows not the profile associated with the monitor but the system defaults , when its changed to srgb default for devices it works. Weird how this only seems to effect affinity and not adobe products . 

I'm not sure which setting you changed. Can you give us a screenshot?

As for it affecting Affinity but not other programs, Affinity uses a color-managed workflow that is different from the workflow used by some other programs.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, Mags1892 said:

There's an option on the first tab ("Devices") with a checkbox to use your setting for the monitor, or use the system default. I imagine the checkbox is disabled, which is why you needed to change the system default (also, this version of the dialog only applies the settings to the current user, you need to click "Change system defaults..." to affect all users).

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

There's an option on the first tab ("Devices") with a checkbox to use your setting for the monitor, or use the system default. I imagine the checkbox is disabled, which is why you needed to change the system default (also, this version of the dialog only applies the settings to the current user, you need to click "Change system defaults..." to affect all users).

Also altered that setting to use a variety of profiles none worked. only changing it here did . Cheers though .

2 minutes ago, Mags1892 said:

Yes I did , tried with system default and also use my setttings else it wont let you pick an alternate 

In addition to "Use my settings" you would need to click Add to add a profile, if none is shown.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

In addition to "Use my settings" you would need to click Add to add a profile, if none is shown.

Yup i am aware, take it as red as a colour management person of over 30 years (before ICC was a thing) i do know . this was for info for others that come across this issue and how to fix it :)

cheers for the suggestions however :)

1 minute ago, Mags1892 said:

Yup i am aware, take it as red as a colour management person of over 30 years (before ICC was a thing) i do know . this was for info for others that come across this issue and how to fix it :)

cheers for the suggestions however :)

Do you have a colour profile for your monitor that you'd like to use? Setting your device profile to sRGB will result in no colour conversion if the source document is also in sRGB (i.e. the colours may not look right on someone else's machine).

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you have a colour profile for your monitor that you'd like to use? Setting your device profile to sRGB will result in no colour conversion if the source document is also in sRGB (i.e. the colours may not look right on someone else's machine).

no this is a clients machine not my own, my own uses a very high end calibrated system . This was info for clients who have this issue there a massive difference in affinity you can see it a mile off the colour sliders are massively muted doing as i suggested in the images sorts it out .  Not many people go to the expense of a calibrated screen mores the pity.