You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher to create ebook?

I have read a bit about creating ebooks and looked at Publisher, but would like to hear from someone with experience. I am also an Affinity Photo user so would like to leverage my Affinity experience on Publisher.

Would Publisher be a good tool for developing an ebook with photos/images? Either directly or indirectly?

Thanks

9 hours ago, BeauRX said:

Would Publisher be a good tool for developing an ebook with photos/images? Either directly or indirectly?

I can't see why not...

What ebook format do you normally use as the end product, pdf, epub, mobi, azw3?

Publisher will only be able to export to PDF, if you have other software that you use to convert to the other ebook formats, it might be an idea to make a short book, maybe 4 or 5 pages with all the elements you would normally add,  then use the other software to convert the PDF to see how it translates.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 9 months later...

Kindle Create (Made by Amazon of course) is a tool you can use to format your PDF for Kindle, it's very easy to use, just upload the work (I use PDF) and export to kindle's format. It has worked fine for me and my illustrated picture books, for the majority of work I think it will be just fine. If you want to publish outside of Amazon, there are tools out there (like Sigil and the like) but I haven't used them. When working with Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) they have a way to preview how your book will look in both print and digitally and while it's slow, it is a very helpful to see how your work will look before you publish.

If you have any questions about the process I can probably help with Amazon publishing.

Thank you, Soft. But I have a feeling converting a pdf isn't going to work for my text-only book. I just looked at Kindle Create. It says "Your PDF is converted into a Print Replica eBook. Print Replica eBooks maintain the look of their print editions and offer many of the advantages of standard Kindle eBooks, but they do not allow the reader to resize text "

I don't know if a print replica works for a book of text. Can readers still see words in a reasonable size without having to pull the page right and left to see a whole line? 

On the other hand, the KC instructions say to use a .doc for text, but other apps will do. I used to use inDesign, which converts directly to various ebook formats. KC doesn't mention this option. So I don't know what to think. Maybe I'll just have to copy the text from Publisher and paste into a .doc and upload that. 

On 7/10/2020 at 1:32 PM, glenncheney said:

I don't know if a print replica works for a book of text. Can readers still see words in a reasonable size without having to pull the page right and left to see a whole line? 

You better use reflowable format.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally figured out an easy way to convert to ebook. So easy! Copy all the text into a Word or Pages doc, then export to epub. Right? Won't that work? You might have to re-style the chapters to make a TOC with links, but that wouldn't take long. I don't know how it would work if there are photos. You might have to manually insert them one by one. The conversion wouldn't be instantaneous, but it should be possible with a few minutes or maybe an hour of work. 

1 hour ago, glenncheney said:

I finally figured out an easy way to convert to ebook. So easy! Copy all the text into a Word or Pages doc, then export to epub. Right? Won't that work? You might have to re-style the chapters to make a TOC with links, but that wouldn't take long. I don't know how it would work if there are photos. You might have to manually insert them one by one. The conversion wouldn't be instantaneous, but it should be possible with a few minutes or maybe an hour of work. 

•  

Some books have lots of text which isn't linked in one continuous flow, but I do think that your basic premise is workable. The main problem is that ePub and Print are completely different things. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.