You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues reading TIFF files

ccurzio

Why does Affinity Photo have so much trouble reading TIFFs? So often, this happens - and every single time the glitch splits the image straight down the middle, either top to bottom like this example, or right/left in others.

Other programs (Lightroom, Mac OS Preview, etc.) can read these files just fine.

sshot.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi BobWard1,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind uploading one of your TIFF files (that don't load in Affinity) using this link for us to check out please? Thank you.
The issue(s) posted by the OP may have a different cause and it's most likely unrelated to yours.

Note: thread moved to the Bugs section.

• Staff

Hi BobWard1,
Thanks for the file. It is opening correctly here apart from the alpha channels which are ignored/discarded on import (except the first one) - this is a known issue that's already logged. Right-clicking the Background Alpha in the Channels panel and selecting Fill with show the sky (which Affinity displays as hidden/has the alpha enabled/applied on import). If you want to save it before filling, right click the Background Alpha channel and select Create Spare Channel. What Trial version are you running? And on what OS? (I'm assuming it's a Mac since this is a Mac section).

large_tiff.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi ccurzio,
I've logged Bob's issue, as i did with yours. Unfortunately neither of them was looked at yet despite both being assigned to devs/dev teams. I've bumped both reports to bring them up again to devs attention. I'm sorry if it looked like your issue was being ignored - that's definitely not the case.

Here's additional information that may shed some light on this issue.

The TIFF files I have that problem with were produced by Sony's Edit app. If I simply open the file with Preview and save it, the new file opens properly in AffinityPhoto.

Also, do a Layer/Invert and you'll see how AP is messing up opening the TIFF file from Sony Edit.

• Staff

Hi domcc,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for the additional info. I will check/pass this to the dev team.

@ccurzio

Are you also using Sony apps (View/Edit) to edit/export the TIFF's before opening them in Affinity Photo or are they coming from a scanner software? Seems they are coming from a scanner software - if so which model and software are you using? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a little more testing and the problem I'm seeing may not be the same as ccurzio's.

What I'm consistently seeing is that AffinityPhoto has problems opening photos shot in portrait orientation but no problem with photos shot in landscape orientation.

AP opens the RAW files but has trouble with Sony Edit saved tiff files.