You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Display Text Frames

Hello. I found a very unpleasant moment for myself. The fact is that in the layout I use exclusively non-standard text frames, which I add to the InDesign library. But in your program, to my great regret, it is not possible

Example:

I need to use this particular text frame.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019_09.11_00175.thumb.jpg.1e3ce63fe493965005c553db004390c9.jpg

I select it and add it to the resources.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019_09.11_00177.thumb.jpg.c600b68c82563093639cde85c9472e75.jpg

And it’s not there ... It’s simply not, it is naturally not visible !!! And in InDesign, they are very well viewed.

Ashampoo_Snap_2019_09.11_00179.thumb.jpg.01e68f3d366d0f61c0aed698ff908448.jpg

Maybe I don’t know something? But this is very bad! Very ... Maybe it is possible to make it so that we can change the color of text frames? Or at least to be visible in the resource? Thank you very much!

You should find that it was added to the Assets panel, but it will probably not be visible unless at least one of these is true:

1. You give it a Fill (use the Text Frame studio panel to do that); or
  2. You give it a Stroke (again, use the Text Frame studio panel), and the color is one that contrasts with your UI (User Interface) color; or
  3. You display the Assets in List view, so the asset names are visible.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have the ability to assign a custom thumbnail to an asset (a second drawing that is used only for the thumbnail) to better account for these cases?

Or to use its outline if it does not have a fill nor a stroke. Even though outline view is not available in APub the outline must be part of the object.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I've tried the same thing. Even though not visible, the frame is in the assets panel. If you know where it is, you can hover the pointer over it and the asset name will appear (in my case frame text). You can also select it and add it to a document.  So it is usable, just not visible.

I've one asset which is very feint on a dark user interface, which is much more obvious on a light user interface. Changing user interface makes no difference to a frame asset.

Depending on how you are using the text frame, there are 2 options.

1. If you have more than one asset, rearranging so the there is another asset after an invisible asset means there will be a space in the asset panel. It isn't ideal, but it does allow you to identify fairly easily where the asset is, so you can select it (providing you haven't got numerous invisible assets).

2. If a text frame is always located in the same position on a page, I'd use them on a master page instead.

6 hours ago, graphos said:

But the question remained unresolved.

Your simplest resolution, as I mentioned, is to configure the Assets panel to use list mode. Then you can see your asset, and drag it onto the page.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Why not just fill the Text Frame with Filler Text before adding it to your assets?

It's a simple matter to then select all the filler text and replace it with the text you want instead when using the asset in your document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

21 hours ago, graphos said:

in the layout I use exclusively non-standard text frames, which I add to the InDesign library.

I feel your pain, same problem here.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Why not just fill the Text Frame with Filler Text before adding it to your assets?

It's a simple matter to then select all the filler text and replace it with the text you want instead when using the asset in your document

This and all the other helpful solutions regarding fill and stroke slow things down when all I want is a frame to be inserted into the text flow. As it is now only by giving the frames names and viewing the Assets as a list will give us a useable Assets Panel, but sometimes we need a more descriptive name and the names get truncated or ignored if they are too long.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Errors are possible in this case ...

2 hours ago, graphos said:

Errors are possible in this case ...

Errors are always possible in all cases.

Don't insert the filler text as text.

By default, when you use Publisher's filler text feature, the text is inserted as "fake" text and scales to the container, it is not actual text.  Just as simple then to turn off after inserting the frame, making sure it is all removed.

There is an option in preferences that inserts it as plain text instead, which is not helpful for dealing with this situation.  I recommend leaving that off.

Right. If you leave it as filler text (rather than expanding it) it's easy to delete. A double-click selects all of it, and then it's just pressing Delete to get rid of it all.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But then again, a single visibility un-tick is much faster.

Where would you do that for filler text in a text frame?

-- Walt
PC:

5 hours ago, graphos said:

Thank you all for your advice, but wouldn’t it be easier to make the frames of the frames visible? That would be convenient for everyone. Thank!

Yes, that would be a useful enhancement.

But enhancements arrive slowly, so we're trying to give you something to help resolve your issue in the meantime.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that would be a useful enhancement.

But enhancements arrive slowly, so we're trying to give you something to help resolve your issue in the meantime.

"The road will be overpowered by the walking" Everything is just beginning! Thank!