You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

i had this a few times before: i open an .afphoto-File which worked fine over the years, i can even see the thumbnail of the picture (here in the windows explorer) but when i open it i looks like this:

AP_Bug.thumb.PNG.d32eea118873721a90032fee4e955c81.PNG

The File Size is still 171 MB, all the layers are gone ;-(

I have tried to open it with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on PC and MAC with the above seen result, any ideas please?

Although the file is large uploading it for us to look at might be an option.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Adrenochrom :)

This isn't something I've seen happening before, my apologies!

believe it may be related to your ICC profile, 'sRGB built-in' - is this a custom profile?

Could you please upload a copy of these files and your ICC profile to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/be8YVgRKqrd7evoJom9s

Can you please also check your GPU drivers are fully up to date through Device Manager? Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

thanks a lot for your help!

I have uploadet both files now.

right now i`m @work, so i don`t have access to the ICC Profile.

This could be a Profile of my Monitor which i have calibrated with an Datacolor Spider 4 at that time.

Is it possible to open it without an ICC Profile?

Display and all other Drivers are up to date!

• Staff

Thanks for your files, I've opened them here in V1.7.2 and I'm seeing the same issues.

However I've also opened your files in V1.6.5 and the background pixel layer is drawn correctly, however there are still no further layers in the file.

image.png

image.png

Could you please confirm the following:

1. Where/how are your files being stored? ie locally, or online such as iCloud, Dropbox, GoogleDrive?
  2. How many files are affected by this? Does there appear to be any pattern?
  3. Which layers are missing? ie were there further pixel layers, or adjustment layers that you're expecting to see?
  4. Do you remember the last steps taken in these document? I appreciate you have mentioned they are old documents, so not to worry if not.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

the files are all stored on a QNAP-NAS Storage. Firmware of the NAS is up to Date, Harddisk seams to be fine after a check.

I don`t know how many Files are affected, because they all look fine in the explorer, (thumbnails) so i had to open more than 200 files.

The obove Files are form 2017, so it could be that i used only one Layer at that time (that was a lazy year)

Last step (after saving the files as .afphoto) is allways an export as a .jpeg + .tiff-File.

Surprisingly the .jpeg-Fieles are just fine, but the .tif Versions of the above Files where also corrupt.

Because i had this problem in the past i export all of my work finally as a .tif File to be (un)save ;-)

Thanks

Ron

What happens if you copy one of these problematic files from your QNAP-NAS to a location on your Mac or PC & try to open the copy in Affinity?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

What happens if you copy one of these problematic files from your QNAP-NAS to a location on your Mac or PC & try to open the copy in Affinity?

the problem is still the same and as i wrote, i can open the same file from my NAS with Affinity Photo 1.7.2 on my iPad without problems.

i have also tried to open theese files from two different usb backup drives also with the same result. 

at least i belive Dan C is right with his color profile theory but why does it open with version 1.6.5 and on the latest version on iPad?

• Staff
19 hours ago, Adrenochrom said:

the files are all stored on a QNAP-NAS Storage. Firmware of the NAS is up to Date, Harddisk seams to be fine after a check.

Thanks for confirming that, I had a suspicion that this may have been network related and perhaps the files were becoming corrupted, however the fact the files open in previous/iPad versions indicates otherwise.

19 hours ago, Adrenochrom said:

the .tif Versions of the above Files where also corrupt

This certainly could be due to the embedded ICC profile, please provide a copy of this when you can :)

6 hours ago, Adrenochrom said:

Why does it open with version 1.6.5 and on the latest version on iPad?

We've made some changes recently to the way we read ICC profiles and XMP data and I believe this is what's causing the issue, but I do need the ICC profile to be certain of this.

4 minutes ago, Adrenochrom said:

may i ask if there is there a plan or a solution ?

If we can replicate this issue I can log it with our developers to be fixed, if it turns out not to be ICC related then I'll keep testing until I find the reason, and then log this to be repaired.

In the meantime, if you've purchased the app from the Affinity Store you can download 1.6.5 from the following links and roll back your version until this is fixed if you wish - 

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/photo/1/

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

sadly it seams that i don`t have that ICC Profile from that time anywhere anymore.

that profile was from my callibrated Asus Monitor which i have created with a datacolor spyder pro4, i have uploadet a similar (newer) profile, perhaps this could help.

meanwhile i open the "defective Files" with affinity photo on my ipad and save them again. after that i can open them as expected.

• Staff

Thank you for that, I've logged this issue for investigation with our developers using your files/ICC profile.

I'm glad to hear you've found a workaround, my apologies for any inconveniences caused!

Please note -

Many thanks!