You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What I'm trying to do is increase/ decrease the leading (line-spacing) in one or more paragraphs. This is to fit the text into a given area.

At the moment, if I select a block of text and press Alt+up arrow, the leading does increase but far more than I'd like. In In-Design preferences there was an option to increase or decrease the leading by a much small increment. Is there any way of doing this in Publisher?

Thank You

Tony

Here's a video which might explain better what I am trying to do. At the moment if I select a column's worth of text, then increase the leading down that column (using Alt+Down arrow), the leading increases by approx 10%. What I'd like to do is to increase the leading increment by say 1%, allowing for much more precise text adjustments.

21 minutes ago, Tony Watson said:

(using Alt+Down arrow),

The ALT key does nothing on my system (Windows)

But the CTRL key decreases the leading amount when using an Arrow key and the Shift key increases it

Does CTRL+Down Arrow do anything on a Mac?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks, but the CTRL does nothing. On my Mac ALT+Down Arrow increases the leading  and ALT+Up Arrow decreases the leading.

That's fine, but what I'm after is a way of controlling the AMOUNT of the leading. AT moment, the amount is approx 10%, whilst I's like to be more precise, say  1% or 2%

Try Cmd-Alt-Down 

(This was from a post in 2015, it may have changed)

if not, someone with a MAC may have to help you further

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@stokerg: Since you have been involved in this, I'm a bit puzzled by Text > Paragraph Leading > Increase and Text > Paragraph Leading > Precise Increase (and their Decrease equivalents).

For example,

• Increase (or Alt+Down) takes a paragraph leading of 12.4 pt and increases to 13.9 (1.5 pt).
  • Precise Increase (Ctrl+Alt+Down) takes that 12.4 leading and increases it to 15.5 for me (3.1 pt).

I have a hard time understanding why 3.1 is more "precise" than 1.5. And generally I'm used to the "Precise" ones giving smaller increments. For example, Text > Size > Increase takes 12pt text and makes it 13pt. But Text > Size > Precise Increase takes 12pt text to 12.1 pt. Thus, for Size, "precise" is 1/10 the increment of non-precise. But for Paragraph Leading "precise" is a factor of 10 (sorry, 2, for that brief experiment).

Shouldn't that be the other way around? The current values seem like a bug.

(For another example, Text > Baseline > Raise Baseline and Precise Raise Baseline work like Size. A 1pt increase for Raise and .1pt for Precise Raise.)

Edited by walt.farrell
fix math error

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

@stokerg: Since you have been involved in this, I'm a bit puzzled by Text > Paragraph Leading > Increase and Text > Paragraph Leading > Precise Increase (and their Decrease equivalents).

For example,

• Increase (or Alt+Down) takes a paragraph leading of 12.4 pt and increases to 13.9 (1.5 pt).
  • Precise Increase (Ctrl+Alt+Down) takes that 12.4 leading and increases it to 15.5 for me (3.1 pt).

I have a hard time understanding why 3.1 is more "precise" than 1.5. And generally I'm used to the "Precise" ones giving smaller increments. For example, Text > Size > Increase takes 12pt text and makes it 13pt. But Text > Size > Precise Increase takes 12pt text to 12.1 pt. Thus, for Size, "precise" is 1/10 the increment of non-precise. But for Paragraph Leading "precise" is a factor of 10.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? The current values seem like a bug.

(For another example, Text > Baseline > Raise Baseline and Precise Raise Baseline work like Size. A 1pt increase for Raise and .1pt for Precise Raise.)

Totally agree with all that. Surely 'precise' increase should be a lower increment than 'normal' increase?? This does need looking at.