You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity iPad mini 5

While watching tutorials, I saw users using brushes that they had uploaded to their iPads. I’ve tried uploading some to mine but it isn’t working. I have an iPad mini 5 which the software works but I am unable to load them. Does anyone have any ideas or is there a glitch between the different iPads? 

I've found the best way to get brushes into Affinity Designer on the iPad (and I'm using an iPad Mini 5) is:

1. Download (or move or copy) the unzipped brush set to an "On My iPad" folder (cloud folders never seem to work properly - maybe a result of a slow and inconsistent internet connection?)
  2. Make sure Affinity Designer is on gallery view (not working on an open document)
  3. Navigate to the appropriate "On My iPad" folder in the Files app (don't import directly from Affinity Designer)
  4. Tap once directly on the icon for the downloaded brush set file (not the name)
  5. It should switch automatically to Affinity Designer gallery view. Wait very patiently until the "Brushes Imported" notification shows up on the screen (always seems to take a minute or several,  especially if I'm watching it) - Affinity Designer (and the iPad) seem somewhat frozen while this happens (no doubt working furiously behind the scenes)

Note that there are two types of brushes, vector-based and pixel-based. Vector-based brushes will only work (and show in the brush lists) in Affinity Designer in Designer persona.

Pixel-based brushes will work in Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer in Pixel persona (and will only show in the brushes lists in Pixel persona). Use pixel-based brushes on a pixel layer.

On 9/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, Butler To Cats said:

Note that there are two types of brushes, vector-based and pixel-based. Vector-based brushes will only work (and show in the brush lists) in Affinity Designer in Designer persona.

Pixel-based brushes will work in Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer in Pixel persona (and will only show in the brushes lists in Pixel persona). Use pixel-based brushes on a pixel layer.

I’ve found that in AD on my Windows laptop I can import vector or pixel brushes and then switch to the correct persona to use them, but in AD on my iPad Air 2 the brushes won’t import at all unless I switch to the correct persona first.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Meredith45 :)

What Format are the brushes you're trying to import into Affinity Photo iOS please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

You mention that you’ve seen videos where brushes in .abr format are imported, but you haven’t told us the file format of the brushes that you’re struggling with. Although the native brush format for the Affinity apps is .afbrushes, you should also be able to import most *.abr brushes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Meredith45 :)

There is a known issue currently with Affinity apps causing .abr brush import to fail when it should not. This issue should be resolved shortly, apologies for any inconveniences in the meantime!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!