You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer makes .eps files look weird upon opening

I just downloaded two .eps files from a stock photo service. Designer takes ten seconds to open each <11MB file, then makes the files look weird, as if half their layers are missing. The layers I do see are incomplete and many cannot be worked with separately.

Adobe Illustrator opens both files as expected, shows the .eps files exactly like their JPEG previews, and all layers can be worked with separately.

I'm attaching both .eps files and their JPEG previews.

chalkboards assorted.eps

chalkboard gray.eps

chalkboard gray.jpg

chalkboard gray.jpg

25 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The eps files likely have embedded ai data in them, which is what AI is actually opening and by the screen shots, the ai files are likely using mesh fills which are not a construction allowed in eps files.

Okay, thank you for explaining. I was hoping Designer could be a full replacement for the subscription-based Illustrator, but file incompatibilities with AI files and eps files with AI data will mean that I need to keep Illustrator. Too bad.