You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrap not working in complex settings

bjoernbg

As requested in this thread I moved this issue to a fresh set since it seems to be a separate issue

I was able to reproduce two bugs with text flow around objects – as you can see in the attached file and screenshot, the flow breaks when there is either more than one mask on the element or if the masked element is in a group (and the flow around set for the group – in that case it seems to use the bounding box of the group for the text flow. This might actually be the intended behaviour, but it doesn't feel correct to me).

The workaround is relatively easy by editing the wrapping contour by hand, but that kind of defeats the purpose of automatic wrapping around objects. When editing the contour manually I saw that the contour to start with was actually a bit off, which might have something to do with the other problems.

dummy.afpub

Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 16.12.27.png

5 minutes ago, Pauls said:

For the multiple masks I thik we need some way of making a compound path - I'll logthat although we have the edit text wrap outline which will also allow complex shapes to be created.

Sounds good to me. I'm also still learning how to accomplish things in Publisher. I love it, especially in comparison to Indesign, although Publisher still has quite a few bugs and crashes frequently on me (never lost any data, though!). Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, bjoernbg said:

the flow breaks when there is either more than one mask on the element or if the masked element is in a group

1 hour ago, Pauls said:

For the multiple masks I thik we need some way of making a compound path

Possibly I miss the point but doesn't the wrapping result simply depend on the layer which got the wrap applied?

At least in these samples I can manage the wrap in both ways:

333158402_textwrap-pictureframeimage.jpg.2839acb7c3d5b35bc39388da32a5d617.jpg

1495855872_textwrap-pictureframegroup.jpg.6bece359a05f88b65f5c7ec69b3e7ab6.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Possibly I miss the point but doesn't the wrapping result simply depend on the layer which got the wrap applied?

The issue is that I think setting text wrap to the group should respect the shape of the elements in the group and not revert to a rectangle. In the attached screenshot:

1. The top image works fine, no mask
  2. The middle image works fine with a amsk
  3. The bottom image is not wrapped correctly. Text wrap was defined for the group, but not the image (with the mask). As you can see, the layer effect (drop shadow) respects the shape of the elements within the group, but the text wrap does not! I think that should be consistent, or at least I don't think it's logical that setting text wrap on a group simply results in wrapping as a rectangle. I understand that this can become complicated, but if it's solvable for the drop shadow, why not for text wrap?
    Edit: Even better – have a look at my second screenshot. The wrapping works as I'd expect it if I put a second element into the group. But still the circle mask is not respected. The circle mask only gets respected if I set it as a mask for the group itself (but that clips the narrow rectangle). It's just not consistent.

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 14.48.28.png

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 14.54.24.png

Edited by bjoernbg

Ok, I see what you mean. – I still get a different, well wrapping results even with masks + effects within a group.

In this sample only the layers "(Group)" got applied Text Wrap:

1211261945_textwrap-groupwithmaskseffects.jpg.524ba22c76a5692a31077104a5afeaf9.jpg

Probably the different ways to use a picture frame as mask can make the difference:

In your screenshot the layers thumbnail of "(Bilderrahmen)" is white, – whereas in mine the layer "illustration 16..." it shows the image.
With other words: you have the Picture frame inside the image – I have the image inside picture frame.

10 hours ago, thomaso said:

Probably the different ways to use a picture frame as mask can make the difference:

In your screenshot the layers thumbnail of "(Bilderrahmen)" is white, – whereas in mine the layer "illustration 16..." it shows the image.
With other words: you have the Picture frame inside the image – I have the image inside picture frame.

That seems logical, so it's better to define picture frames and have them clip the pictures instead of defining masks in the picture. I still think my issue is a bug, but one that can easily be worked around if you know about it (which unfortunately I didn't, now I now better). Thanks for taking the time!

Yes image inside frame sounds more logical, but the other way has an advantage, too:

– In case you place an image inside picture frame the name of the resource file is hidden below the neutral "(Picture Frame)" or "(Bilderrahmen)" unless one renames it or unfolds the layers group with the triangle symbol.

– Whereas if the frame is inside image the obvious layer name is the resource file name; more convenient that way.
   (Though I can't make my layers work that way as you have set it, I only get the crossed lines filled with the image)

p.s.: Pauls has agreed, logged your issue and given a tag, so a fix is on its way...