You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Numeration

Actually I try to rebuild a Document from InDesign in Affinity Publisher. But I got some problems to make automatic numbering in Affinity Publisher to work.

wrong Numeration
The higher Number should be on the right page, not on the left one. No Idea how I could that get to work the right way -> bug?

Subtitles
I could insert subtitles, but I have no idea how to get the main-number (level 1) to get in front. In InDesign it's possible to define the numeration and I tried to insert the same name in "Name:". But I didn't find any way to bring that to work!

Thanks for support with this great piece of software!

Layout.pngPreferences_2.png

Preferences_1.png

Edited by ahnungsloser

4 hours ago, ahnungsloser said:

wrong Numeration
The higher Number should be on the right page, not on the left one. No Idea how I could that get to work the right way -> bug?

It would help to have a sample .afpub document, not just a screenshot.

But I will make a guess: It's acting as though you have your the Text Frame on the right-hand page flowing to the Text Frame on the left-hand page. (That is, the link runs from the lower-right of the right-hand frame to the upper-left of the left-hand frame. It should be the other way.)

Looking at it with View > Show Text Flow enabled and one of the Text Frames selected would show that, and would be a useful screenshot to have.

Subtitles: Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to do for your second question.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, ahnungsloser said:

wrong Numeration

It uses z-order to decide the ordering of unconnected frames. It doesn't use x/y position because if you had a 2x2 arrangement, you might want it to left-to-right then top-to-bottom, or top-to-bottom then left-to-right. If you go to the master page and use the Layers panel to swap the text frames around, it should work as you want.

7 hours ago, ahnungsloser said:

Subtitles

I could insert subtitles, but I have no idea how to get the main-number (level 1) to get in front. In InDesign it's possible to define the numeration and I tried to insert the same name in "Name:". But I didn't find any way to bring that to work!

I'm not sure I understand you, but I notice you have Global ticked only for the level 1 list. It should also be ticked for the level 2 list. That's why you are getting 0.1 instead of 2.1.

@Dave Harris

Thanks for your support, that sounds logical.

I tried all of your tipps and that solved the subtitles but not the rest. Now I still got this behavior: The main title is on the top of the Layers, but the subtitles are still with the wrong first number (as they're above the main titles) -> for example: 1.2 but it should be 2.2.

If you go to page 4 and 5 in the document above, the numbers are still wrong (on the left side should be 4 and on the right 5). There I can't change anything by Layers and if I add a page I can't arrange that in a different way.

16 hours ago, ahnungsloser said:

I tried all of your tipps and that solved the subtitles but not the rest. Now I still got this behavior: The main title is on the top of the Layers, but the subtitles are still with the wrong first number (as they're above the main titles) -> for example: 1.2 but it should be 2.2.

Ah, this is in a Table of Contents. It looks like paragraph numbering doesn't interact well with ToC. The ToC will effectively freeze fields when it copies them, but it doesn't freeze numbered lists the same way. This is a bug. I'll log it to be fixed.

It looks like the ToC text styles apply their own numbering, and used different settings. If you use the same settings but make the ToC list non-global, it should work reasonably well. Also, after you edit the main text you will need to update the ToC.

16 hours ago, ahnungsloser said:

If you go to page 4 and 5 in the document above, the numbers are still wrong (on the left side should be 4 and on the right 5). There I can't change anything by Layers and if I add a page I can't arrange that in a different way.

On this spread it is the master pages that have the wrong z-order. They can be reordered, although it's not as easy as it should be. If you go to the Layers panel, unexpand the second master page, you should then be able to drag the first master page to below it. I'll log this to be improved too.

I've attached Testfile2.afpub that shows what I think you want.

Testfile2.afpub

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Ah, this is in a Table of Contents. It looks like paragraph numbering doesn't interact well with ToC. The ToC will effectively freeze fields when it copies them, but it doesn't freeze numbered lists the same way. This is a bug. I'll log it to be fixed.

It looks like the ToC text styles apply their own numbering, and used different settings. If you use the same settings but make the ToC list non-global, it should work reasonably well. Also, after you edit the main text you will need to update the ToC.

Actually there's no way to get the number 1.1 and in the next one 2.1 -> but great if it gets fixed.

8 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

On this spread it is the master pages that have the wrong z-order. They can be reordered, although it's not as easy as it should be. If you go to the Layers panel, unexpand the second master page, you should then be able to drag the first master page to below it. I'll log this to be improved too.

I've attached Testfile2.afpub that shows what I think you want.

Testfile2.afpub

I couldn't do that, but in your attached File it's correct. But no worries, if it gets improved I can wait.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue "Table of Contents doesn't freeze numbered lists" has been fixed in 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to check]. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon