You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug with invisible font (PDF export)

I had a bug that prevented white text from being displayed in a pdf export.

The curious thing was: Some readers displayed the text, but Adobe Acrobat Pro didn't. The text was flashing while zooming but then disappeared.

I fixed it by giving the white text the same color again.

I have both affinity files (working and not working) but can't post them here as they contain private information - where can I send them?

Alexander Walther, Informationsdesigner B.A.

uploading....

btw you're doing such a great job. Also caring about your customers an dealing with bugs in such an open, transparent and fast way. It makes me feel useful to report issues with your software and I'm happy to support affinity, because affinity supports me to save time, money and making me able to stay away from Adobe products

Alexander Walther, Informationsdesigner B.A.

• Staff

Hi Alexandar,

Thank you very much for the files. This perplexed me for a good while, but then I realised the Tint of the object is set to 0% of a Black which is causing it to appear white. In your export I believe you have 'Overprint Black' enabled, so when exported it is considering it a black object and therefore setting an overprint flag. So when viewed in Acrobat, it is trying to overprint black with 0% on the colour giving an invisible result. This is why setting the colour back to white is correcting it - it changes it from black to white and reapplies 100% tint!

Ideally the overprint should only happen on 100% tinted objects so I will pass that on to development as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue "Overprint Black should only overprint with a tint of 100%" has been fixed in 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to check, an equivalent fix will come in the next Designer build]. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon