sveto

[AfPhoto/Win] Open multiple images in proper order?

I'm doing some final touches on a concert shoot (over 160 photos). I'm opening 30-50 files at once and strive to achieve a uniform look across all images in terms of brightness, contrast etc.

Unfortunately AfPhoto opens the files in a completely chaotic order. Is there a setting i've missed? Is this a bug?

51 minutes ago, sveto said:

Is there a setting i've missed? Is this a bug?

No, and no.

Serif have acknowledged it is an area that could be improved. For now, though, the tabs are populated in the order that the files finish loading, and in a multi-processed environment opening several files simultaneously that depends on many OS- and hardware-dependent factors.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

I see. Thanks!

It shouldn't matter in what order the files finish loading. It's common sense to sort the tabs in proper order (can be sorted after loading). Every program does it in proper order. Very strange, and a bit disappointing.

I'll probably leave a topic in the requests forum.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:08 PM, sveto said:

It shouldn't matter in what order the files finish loading.

Actually it can matter quite a bit in a multithreaded processing environment, at least if efficient use of computer resources is important.

It is not too hard to see why if you consider that in Affinity a new window or tab has to be created for each file, so if the app does not wait for enough of the the file's data to be loaded (which in Affinity is not necessarily all the data in the file) it would have to set aside resources for each file without knowing how much memory & other resources each of them actually will require. Basically, it would have to guess about that, & both too small & too large guesses can have significant negative effects on performance.

The only way to avoid that I can think of is to wait until enough data is loaded from each file before creating windows or tabs for any of them, a behavior I suspect most Affinity users would not like.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

I have to wonder then: Why is Photoshop faster in opening multiple files, and it still opens all files in the proper order? I don't think your arguments holds.

Opening 27 PSDs at once, while program is already open, w- open command from context menu. I replicated those results a second time, after a reboot.

Affinity Photo: 28 seconds.

Photoshop CS6: 11 seconds.

38 minutes ago, sveto said:

I have to wonder then: Why is Photoshop faster in opening multiple files, and it still opens all files in the proper order? I don't think your arguments holds.

Try opening lots of files in Photoshop on a system with a slow CPU & not a lot of memory. Admittedly, I have not tried that on a Mac for years, but back then I had time for a nap before the beachball spinner vanished & it was ready to do anything.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

So are you saying that Affinity Photo is optimized for slow computers with low memory? I'd like to see an official source on that, because honestly it doesn't make sense to me. I thought that Serif is targeting professionals (alike) with the Affinity Suite.

1 hour ago, sveto said:

So are you saying that Affinity Photo is optimized for slow computers with low memory?

No, but I am saying memory efficiency & optimal use of a computer's other resources are important, including for professionals.

But shouldn't the software make use of a faster computer when it's available? You're making it sound like Affinity Photo does not.

Because there still remains the issue that Af.Photo loads multiple files almost 3 times slower than Photoshop CS6 on my machine, which is not particularly fast (16GB RAM, i7 6700k CPU, Seagate 5600rpm drive for the files).

3 hours ago, sveto said:

But shouldn't the software make use of a faster computer when it's available? You're making it sound like Affinity Photo does not.

Because there still remains the issue that Af.Photo loads multiple files almost 3 times slower than Photoshop CS6 on my machine, which is not particularly fast (16GB RAM, i7 6700k CPU, Seagate 5600rpm drive for the files).

Affinity does make use of faster hardware when it is available. However, there is more to it than just how fast an app can open files. For example, Affinity uses mipmaps to increase pan & zoom performance once a file is open. It takes time & resources to generate them but that pays off in better performance once the files are open.

Your only solutions at this time are (as far as I know):

1. Use different software; or
  2. Open the files one at a time; or
  3. Open in smaller numbers, and reorder the tabs manually after the files are opened.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Sounds like quite the overhead. Strange that this issue is not more widespread. I wonder how other pros (weddings, concerts, events etc) keep their jobs consistent. They probably don't use Affinity, LOL...

But i've been thinking: for now, i could try to do #3 with all serial shots, and open the rest at once (where the order is not important).

Thanks for the help.