You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tablet Pen Problems on Publisher Desktop Win10

I do use a lot of paintingstrokes inside publisher... I switch over to photo persona and then i do handwrite a lot on a pixel layer...___ BUT ___ sometimes AND VERY OFTEN pen stops responding - Pressure is not correctly transmitted _AND_ cursor starts jumping when I try to click on tools ON THE LEFT BAR or on TOP MENUE

I´ve tried it with WACOM and with a cheap HUION Tablet. But the problem stays and comes randomly...(or maybe when i come back from another task...) I don´t know.

Everything seems fine in PHOTO or DESIGNER... but PUBLISHER is getting on my nerves.

ANYBODY ANY IDEA ??? Thanks

I also have issues with my Wacom Bamboo CTH-470. According to customer Service, lots of Affinity users have that tablet and it is supposed to work fine. 

My issues are that a lot of the time, the freehand drawing doesn't work. All it does is create a straight line between the starting and end point of drawing. But sometimes it works for a short moment. This happens when I use stylus and tablet. Whenever I use the mouse, freehand always works fine parallel to the stylus + tablet not working in Affinity Designer. I have been using this tablet for years in the Adobe programs and never once had any issue with it. It works fine in all other software. The driver software, which got its final update in 2015 is updated.  This seems to be an issue mostly in Designer. While the freehand drawing malfunctions there, it works fine in Publisher.

Another issue I have in Designer is with brushes changing to a completely different brush when I use the keyboard shortcut to change size. I can only adjust brush size in the brushes' advanced settings. So, from where I'm sitting, it looks like Affinity still has a few significant bugs that don't exist in other software. But, I do have to say that despite that it is absolutely a fantastic alternative to the outrageously priced Adobe equivalents. I do so wish they would add the function for vectorizing pixel images, though. I know about the vectorizing alternatives, but it's a drawback in terms of workflow. 

• Staff

Hi @DBerlin81,

We are aware of an issue where iff you're using a Wacom Tablet and change focus (using Alt+Tab) to a different application and then click in the Designer UI (not the document area) to return the focus, the tablet will start to draw straight lines from start to end point.

If you click in the document area to return the focus it will function correctly.

7 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @DBerlin81,

We are aware of an issue where iff you're using a Wacom Tablet and change focus (using Alt+Tab) to a different application and then click in the Designer UI (not the document area) to return the focus, the tablet will start to draw straight lines from start to end point.

If you click in the document area to return the focus it will function correctly.

That sounds confusing, but I will just switch to changing applications via mouse click on the taskbar then. I forgot to mention another issue with the stylus, too: the hand tool (h or spacebar) doesn't work either with the stylus.This is also an issue I only have in Designer. 

Thanks for the quick response. I love Affinity and am looking forward to discovering what developments are coming up in the future!

8 minutes ago, DBerlin81 said:

Unfortunately no. I used this as a manual to disable Windows Ink: 

Your Wacom Tablet should have some sort of configuration software for it and you should be able to disable Windows Ink in that -  specifically for the tablet.

I don't have Windows 10 with a Wacom Tablet attached but this is how it (the Wacom software) looks on my Windows 8.1 PC with a Wacom Tablet

Someone else may be able to show you where it  is on Windows 10 if you can't find it yourself

wacom.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Your Wacom Tablet should have some sort of configuration software for it and you should be able to disable Windows Ink in that -  specifically for the tablet.

I don't have Windows 10 with a Wacom Tablet attached but this is how it (the Wacom software) looks on my Windows 8.1 PC with a Wacom Tablet

Someone else may be able to show you where it  is on Windows 10 if you can't find it yourself

wacom.png

I saw another video about that from a guy who uses Adobe and he said that if you disable in the wacom settings like that, you lose the pen pressure sensitivity of your stylus. He then went on to explain how to manipulate Photoshop to help solve this, but since this is not an Adobe software, I didn't look into his explanation but went with the one I posted above.  This is the video of the guy saying simply disabling in the wacom setting causes other problems:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10xGIA_s

Well, I use a Wacom and pen pressure works just fine.  But if I have Windows Ink on then all sorts of weird things happen with the pen making it virtually useless.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Problem is still alive. I often used that trick with changing between mouse and pen... but that leads into desaster too.  After Changing tools and focus or DESIGNER / PUBLISHER I cannot click anymore. Mouse is dead - it´s not a sleeping parrot... it´s a dead one. Publisher is not longer responding.

On 9/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, carl123 said:

wacom.png

My wacom doesn't have the option to deactivate windows ink. Likely because the last and final driver update was in 2015. But I have been told by customer support that my model of tablet is a common one among affinity users and often works fine. It works fine in Publisher and so far only gives me trouble in Designer ... for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, DBerlin81 said:

It works fine in Publisher and so far only gives me trouble in Designer

Just double check, in Designer, that you don't have the option "High Precision tablet input" enabled in Edit > Preferences > Tools

If I enable that option my Wacom misbehaves a lot

The high precision tablet button was deactivated a long time ago.

Problem must be connected to use of two Screens... When the pen tool gets stuck and I reduce WIN 10 to "Notebook Screen" only... Pen starts to behave normally again after some strokes.

Is it a WIN 10 or an SERIF problem?

• Staff

4 hours ago, pixelschubsen said:

Don´t understand ecaxtly your question... I only switch monitor output to single fn+F8 ... I do nothing in tablet driver panel (too much klicking...)

It's just a mapping setting in Wacom Mapping tab:

image.png

3 hours ago, pixelschubsen said:

After Hibernation and rewoke of notebook (with only one screen in use)... problem is back. No pen strokes inside your software get noticed and when i switch to mouse... only straight lines are produced while trying to work with any pen tool.

This sounds really similar to the workflow I described above. Have you tried my suggestion? 

On 9/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, GabrielM said:

17 hours ago, GabrielM said:

It's just a mapping setting in Wacom Mapping tab:

image.png

This sounds really similar to the workflow I described above. Have you tried my suggestion? 

Yes, i´ve been there often... but often the problem is: PUBLISHER is dead and does no appear as living task anymore when I try to switch back. I can only kill him by TASKMANAGER right now! Shitty this is. DEATH by pen stroke! In PHOTO or DESIGNER this is working all fine.

• Staff
On 9/18/2019 at 10:36 AM, pixelschubsen said:

After Hibernation and rewoke of notebook (with only one screen in use)... problem is back. No pen strokes inside your software get noticed and when i switch to mouse... only straight lines are produced while trying to work with any pen tool.

I managed to reproduce a similar behaviour. When this happens, can you open Wacom Tablet Properties, click anywhere inside the app, and then go back to the publisher.