You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basic question re eps export

Hi, I've a logo which I want to give a background to.  I've an eps file, when I put this into Publisher and give it a background, and then export it as eps it is low quality - despite selecting 400 dpi.  It comes out as a 9.22 kb file (the file I paste in is 3687kb).  What am I doing wrong?  

• Staff

Hi Jane P :)

It sounds as though the .eps is being rasterised upon export - the exact cause of this I'm currently uncertain. Could you please provide a copy of your .afpub file and eps file you're using here please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for that, other than the file size change, what is leading you to believe the generated EPS is 'low quality'?

The original .EPS file was generated by Adobe Illustrator - this means the .EPS file has a embedded .AI file alongside it - unfortunately Affinity apps can't read .AI files, so this is discarded when you import the file into Affinity - hence the exported file is a smaller physical size. I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

24 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for that, other than the file size change, what is leading you to believe the generated EPS is 'low quality'?

The original .EPS file was generated by Adobe Illustrator - this means the .EPS file has a embedded .AI file alongside it - unfortunately Affinity apps can't read .AI files, so this is discarded when you import the file into Affinity - hence the exported file is a smaller physical size. I hope this helps!

The main difference in file size is the bitmap preview. Without the bitmap preview, but with the AI private data, the file is about 220k.

• Staff
9 hours ago, Jane P said:

Otherwise it comes out pixilated.

How/where are you seeing this please? I've opened your exported .eps in Affinity Designer and the vector objects are still present, with no pixel/raster layers in your design.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:13 AM, Dan C said:

How/where are you seeing this please? I've opened your exported .eps in Affinity Designer and the vector objects are still present, with no pixel/raster layers in your design.

Hi, when I've sent this across as a logo to an agency (for a job ad), it comes out rubbish.  Though it looks OK  when I open it..

STAMMA Final Logo with yellow.eps

• Staff

I would contact the agency and request further information, as the EPS you have provided is fully vector (meaning it can be scaled without loss of quality) and is already a reasonable physical size meaning if you were to rasterise the document in its current state I would still expect it to be of reasonable quality - unfortunately I see no reason why this would print 'rubbish' - apologies!

22 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I would contact the agency and request further information, as the EPS you have provided is fully vector (meaning it can be scaled without loss of quality) ...

Yes, do contact the agency. And when you do, make sure to inquire about what the actual finished size is suppose to be. As a vector, which your file is, it mostly makes no difference, but if it will be rasterized...

22 minutes ago, Dan C said:

... is already a reasonable physical size meaning if you were to rasterise the document in its current state I would still expect it to be of reasonable quality ...

Depends on what the job is suppose to be used for. The word "ad" is being used. The size is appropriate for a banner...

Capture_000198.png.04944ecbcc16e5138b80a7e00a3a4b2e.png

And at ~51.6 inches is of a length that if rasterized and then shrank down considerably, it might not look so fine.

6 hours ago, MikeW said:

The size is appropriate for a banner...

But what if it is an ad for a really big magazine or newspaper? xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Thanks for that Jane, your design is currently 15491.7px x 6250px and is being uploaded at 120px x 60px. Due to the extreme scaling that has to be applied to the exported image this is what's causing the image to look blurry.

I resized your EPS document to 450px x 182px and exported it to JPEG using Lanczos 3 Separable as the resampler. This should hopefully provide a much cleaner result when uploaded - I hope this helps :)

STAMMA Final Logo with yellow .jpg