You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Questions on Affinity Photo Crop tool

Possibly there has been an answer to these two questions. I've looked but so far haven't found.

1.  When I use a Resample crop, what  resample method is being used eg. Bicubic, Lanczos 3 Non-Separable, Lanczos 3 Separable or something else..

2.  Having created a couple of custom Crop preset cateagories, they appear at the bottom of the preset categories list, and I have to scroll down each time to get to them.

Is there a way I can get my custom crop categories to appear at the top of the preset list.  (I realize that if I just select None for each preset then theyt will appear at the top of the list)

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• Staff

The re-sample method is bilinear if you wish to use a different method you can use the unconstrained crop mode and then resize the document with the re-sample option enable and select the method required.

You can move your custom presets by clicking presets ans then from the preset menu select Manage Presets and you can rearrange the order of the presets.

15 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

2.  Having created a couple of custom Crop preset cateagories, they appear at the bottom of the preset categories list, and I have to scroll down each time to get to them.

Is there a way I can get my custom crop categories to appear at the top of the preset list.  (I realize that if I just select None for each preset then theyt will appear at the top of the list)

You can drag your custom crop presets to the top of the preset list in the Presets Manager

Alternatively, you can "Nuke" all the existing preset categories and just create your own category

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/88199-affinity-photo-crop-tool/&do=findComment&comment=467280

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

DWright, carl123,

Thanks for the response. As a result I have now been able have my custom categories show at the top of the list when I open it.  :)

Thanks also for the information about the upsizing/downsizing method.  Will be interesting to compare a resize using crop with a resize using one of the Lanczos options in Resize Document.

While we're on the topic of the crop tool, I've been meaning to ask if there's a way to change the following behavior:

When want to do a 1:1 crop ratio of a horizontal/landscape photo, it starts out with what you see in the attached image. with the boundaries of the crop outside the shorter dimension. So I need to drag the crop corners to the inner position that I want. 

Is there a way to force the tool to start its boundaries inside the shorter dimension instead? 

2019-09-10_11-17-37.png

45 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Ulysses,
Currently there's no way around this. This issue is already logged to be looked at. I've bumped the report to bring it to devs attention again.

THANK YOU, @MEB. Although I never considered this one a bug, but rather a behavioral choice, it would sure speed up a lot of workflows if this behavior was changed or at least given an optional control in the interface.

9 hours ago, DWright said:

The re-sample method is bilinear

That's not the answer I got from Mark Ingram when I inquired about this back in July. He answered that it's Lanczos 3 Non-Separable.

Can we get a confirmation which is used, please :) (Mark's response follows my question, below.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can we get a confirmation which is used, please

Yes, that would be helpful. 

Having done some tests, my thoughts are that it wouldn't seem to be Lanczos 3 Non-Separable, simply because using the same source image, a resize in Document Resize using Lanczos 3 Non-Separablen is taking far, far longer than the same resize using crop resize.

I had thought a comparison would be relatively simple, just do the same resize to the same tiff source image using the different resampling methods in Document, Resize, and also a Crop resize, export each result as a non compressed tiff and compare the exported images at 100%.  Unfortunately, it seems to me that the resample type used in the Export process is having an effect, even though I'm not making any changes to the pixel size in the export process. Not sure why that should be.

So having modified my test to exclude the export process, I've been able to get a reasonably clear comparison between a crop resample and a set of document resizes using the various resample methods, and that leads me to believe that the crop resample method might actually be Nearest Neighbour. !!! 

My test:

My source image was a yellow filled triangle with a black outline on a 600px x 600px white background, produced in a vector drawing package, and exported as a 600px x 600px 300DPI uncompressed 24 bit TIF image. I've attached that image for reference

In Affinity Photo I up sized the image by 10 to 6000px x 6000px leaving the DPI as 300 using each of the resample methods.
I zoomed each resized image immediately after resizing to 122.2%, positioned the view so it showed the peak of the triangle and took a screen shot, then put the screen shots together for comparison.

The simple triangle image makes it easy to see the difference in resampling methods on this type of image. The crop resize most closely matches the Nearest Neighbour resample.

Resample Comparison.jpg

Triangle 600x600.tif

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2019 at 9:35 PM, walt.farrell said:

That's not the answer I got from Mark Ingram when I inquired about this back in July. He answered that it's Lanczos 3 Non-Separable.

Can we get a confirmation which is used, please :) (Mark's response follows my question, below.)

Curious too.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 9/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, Ulysses said:

While we're on the topic of the crop tool, I've been meaning to ask if there's a way to change the following behavior:

When want to do a 1:1 crop ratio of a horizontal/landscape photo, it starts out with what you see in the attached image. with the boundaries of the crop outside the shorter dimension. So I need to drag the crop corners to the inner position that I want. 

Is there a way to force the tool to start its boundaries inside the shorter dimension instead? 

2019-09-10_11-17-37.png

Hi @Ulysses
This issue is now fixed in Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.0.168 GM (Mac) and in an upcoming Beta build on Windows.